Installing Pro-Engineer on a linux machine

In summary, the conversation is about installing software on a Linux system, specifically the Wildfire3 version of ProE on a Debian distro. The person asking for help has no experience with installing on Linux and only knows the term "un-tarring." They are seeking guidance and have found a tutorial for installing software on Ubuntu, another Debian-based distro. They mention the possibility of finding a .deb file for the program, which would make installation similar to that on Windows. The conversation also includes suggestions for starting the installation process and troubleshooting if it does not work.
dichotomy
anyone know how to do this? i have 0 experience installing stuff on linux, I'm pretty new to it. i know the one word "un-tarring" and that's about the limit of my capabilities

it'll be wildfire3 version of proe on debian distro

thanks for any and all help

Computer science news on Phys.org
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Scroll down that page till the point where it says:
"4. Installing from source"

That is actually a tutorial for Ubuntu (a Debian-based distro), so I think it should work for the most part. You might just want to wait for a confirmation from someone else, since I am new to Linux, too. FYI, if you can find a .deb file for the same program, then it would be as simple as installing a program on Windows.

Last edited:
You could take a look at this:
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/how-to-install-proengineer-under-linux-12695

The manufacturer should have left instructions on how to install. Usually its in a file called "INSTALL" or "README".

ahh see I don't have solid media, only archive files to be unpacked. i have done so, and tried to run /home/(username)/.../setup, but it does nay work.

Mayb you can start the installation by doing the following:
cd /home/(username)/...
sh setup
OR (from within the install directory)
./setup

If that doesn't work, post the output of ls -al from within the install directory.

Related to Installing Pro-Engineer on a linux machine

What is Pro-Engineer?

Pro-Engineer is a 3D computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating and modeling mechanical designs.

Can I install Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine?

Yes, Pro-Engineer can be installed on a Linux machine. However, it is only officially supported on certain distributions such as Red Hat and SUSE.

What are the system requirements for installing Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine?

The system requirements for installing Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine may vary depending on the version of the software. Generally, it requires a 64-bit operating system, minimum 4GB of RAM, and a minimum of 20GB of available disk space.

Do I need any additional software to install Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine?

Yes, you will need to install additional software such as FlexNet licensing and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) before installing Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine.

Are there any specific instructions for installing Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine?

Yes, there are specific instructions provided by the software manufacturer for installing Pro-Engineer on a Linux machine. It is important to carefully follow these instructions to ensure a successful installation.