Computer Aided Drawing: Autocad/Desk vs Pro Engineer

In summary, the conversation is about different computer aided drawing software programs, specifically Autodesk Mechanical Desktop, Solidworks, and Pro Engineer (ProE). The participants have varying levels of experience with these programs and discuss their capabilities and popularity. AutoCAD is mentioned as the industry standard for 2D work and ProE for 3D design. The conversation also touches on adding movement to drawings and the power and versatility of different programs.
Bradracer18
Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you are into computer aided drawing. I had to take an engineering class, and we had to do some pretty extensive drawing on Autodesk Mechanical Desktop. The other sections got to use Solidworks. I've heard Autocad/desk is going out of style, and the our type of engineering has the capability to use Pro Engineer(ProE). Anyone have any experience using this program? Is it fairly easy? A good program?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not used ProE, I have experience with AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor.

we had to do some pretty extensive drawing on Autodesk Mechanical Desktop

What was your assignment?

This is awsome, AI example:

Solidworks:

I don't have much solidworks experience, but i do believe its one of the most popular packages.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow...those are some cool examples. Ours was just a drawing. I don't know how to actually put movement into it,etc. I'm not even sure if we had the program to do it. Makes me want to go back, and get to work on it.

Depending on the type of design, AutoCAD has long been the industry standard for 2D work (and typically architectural, structural and civil engineering) and ProE for 3D design (part assemblies, rapid prototyping, and general mechanical design).

Solidworks works nicely too though, but in my experience and opinion lacks the power or versatility of ProE.

Related to Computer Aided Drawing: Autocad/Desk vs Pro Engineer

1. What is the difference between AutoCAD/Desk and Pro Engineer?

AutoCAD/Desk and Pro Engineer are both computer aided design (CAD) software programs. However, AutoCAD/Desk is primarily used for 2D drafting and documentation, while Pro Engineer is used for 3D modeling and product design.

2. Which program is better for creating detailed technical drawings?

Both AutoCAD/Desk and Pro Engineer have their strengths when it comes to creating detailed technical drawings. AutoCAD/Desk is often preferred for 2D drawings due to its ease of use and extensive library of tools and features. Pro Engineer, on the other hand, excels in creating 3D drawings and models with advanced features such as finite element analysis and motion simulation.

3. Can I import files from one program to the other?

Yes, both AutoCAD/Desk and Pro Engineer allow for file imports and exports. However, the compatibility between the two programs may vary depending on the complexity of the design. It is recommended to use compatible file formats, such as .dwg for AutoCAD/Desk and .prt for Pro Engineer, for the best results.

4. Which program is more user-friendly for beginners?

AutoCAD/Desk is generally considered more user-friendly for beginners due to its simple interface and extensive online resources and tutorials. However, Pro Engineer also offers a user-friendly interface and has a comprehensive help system to assist beginners in learning the program.

5. Which program is more commonly used in the industry?

Both AutoCAD/Desk and Pro Engineer are widely used in various industries. However, Pro Engineer is more commonly used in industries such as manufacturing and engineering, where 3D modeling and advanced features are necessary. AutoCAD/Desk is commonly used in architecture and construction for 2D drafting and documentation.