Inertia tensor for point masses

In summary, the problem involves finding the centre of mass and inertia tensor for a system of three equal point masses located at specific coordinates. The centre of mass is found to be (a/3, a, a), but determining the principle axes using symmetry requires a visual representation. By drawing a diagram, it can be seen that the three points form a plane and two of the points are equidistant from the centre of mass. This allows for two of the axes to be determined, with the third axis being perpendicular to both. The principle axes are found to point in the directions (-2, 3, 3), (3, 1, 1), and (0, 1, -1).
physicsdude101

Homework Statement

Three equal point masses, mass M, are located at (a,0,0), (0, a, 2a) and (0, 2a, a). Find the centre of mass for this system. Use symmetry to determine the principle axes of the system and hence find the inertia tensor through the centre of mass. (based on Hand and Finch, Chapter 8 Problem 9).

Homework Equations

$$I_{xx}=\sum_{i} m_i(y_i^2+z_i^2)$$ ,$$I_{xy}=-\sum_{i} m_i x_i y_i$$ and $$\mathbf{R_{CM}}=\frac{\sum_{i} m_i\mathbf{r_i}}{\sum_{i} m_i}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the centre of mass was (a/3,a,a) but I'm not sure how to find the principle axes using symmetry as I can't really visualise the 3D setup that well.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsdude101 said:
I got that the centre of mass was (a/3,a,a) but I'm not sure how to find the principle axes using symmetry as I can't really visualise the 3D setup that well.
Make a drawing!

DrClaude said:
Make a drawing!
I don't get it from the drawing I made either. Oops should've said I did one earlier.

The three points form a plane, and two of the three points are at equal distances from the center of mass. Both of these allow you to find two of the axes (the second one is a symmetry axis), and the third axis will be perpendicular to both.

DrClaude said:
The three points form a plane, and two of the three points are at equal distances from the center of mass. Both of these allow you to find two of the axes (the second one is a symmetry axis), and the third axis will be perpendicular to both.
I think I worked it out: Do the principal axes point in the directions (-2,3,3),(3,1,1),(0,1,-1)?

Related to Inertia tensor for point masses

1. What is the inertia tensor for point masses?

The inertia tensor for point masses is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass and its resistance to changes in motion for a rigid body. It is a 3x3 symmetric matrix that contains information about the moments of inertia and products of inertia for the body.

2. How is the inertia tensor calculated?

The inertia tensor for point masses is calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of each point mass in the body, taking into account their distance from the axis of rotation. The products of inertia are also calculated by summing the individual products of inertia of each point mass.

3. What is the significance of the inertia tensor in physics?

The inertia tensor is a crucial concept in physics as it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces. It is used in various fields such as mechanics, dynamics, and robotics to analyze the motion and stability of objects.

4. How does the inertia tensor differ from the center of mass?

The center of mass is a single point that represents the average location of the mass in an object, while the inertia tensor takes into account the distribution of mass throughout the entire object. The center of mass does not change with the orientation of the object, while the inertia tensor does.

5. Can the inertia tensor change for a given object?

Yes, the inertia tensor can change for a given object if its mass distribution or shape changes. For example, if a rigid object is deformed or if additional mass is added to it, the inertia tensor will also change. However, for a given object with a fixed mass and shape, the inertia tensor remains constant.