Moment of Inertia tensor - displaced axes theorem:

In summary: As applied to I1/I2 from I3 because , as daft as it sounds, don't I1,I2,I3 share the same origin - the centre of mass, as defined in the beginning.Yes, they do share the same origin. But we are looking at the moment of inertia about different axes, not the same one. And the theorem allows us to calculate the MOI about a different origin if we know the MOI about the center of mass.In summary, the question is to calculate the moment of inertia tensor for a system consisting of two massive spheres, m1 and m2, connected by a massless rod. The origin is set at the center of mass and the principal axis frame is chosen with
binbagsss
Ok, so the system consists of two massive spheres, m1 and m2, of radii a and b respectively, connected by a massless rod of length R, as seen in the diagram attached.

The question is to calculate the moment of inertia tensor.

Sol:
Set the origin at the centre of mass . So that we are in the principal axis frame we chose I3 to be along the line connecting the masses.
=> M1=M2R/(M1+M2)]k and M2=-M1R/(M1+M2)]k

Now I have some questions on the next part of my book's solution...
It says, we are to find the moment of inetia tensor for a sphere and apply the displaced axes theorem. So we do this and it comes out as I3(sphere a) = 2/5Mi/r^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

=> I3=2/5(M1a^2+M2b^2)*

And by symmetry we can see that I1=I2, and we apply the displaced axes theorem.

(Theorem: If we know the moment of inertia tensor using the center of mass as the origin (Icm), and we wish to know the moment of inertia of a tensor about the origin displaced by a, a constant vector, it is given by: Ia=Icm+M(a^2δαβ -aαaβ)

It then deduces that: I1=I2=2/5(M1a^2)+M1(M2R/(M1+M2))^2+2/5(M2a^2)+M2(M1R/(M1+M2))^2

My questions:

1) I3=I3(sphere a) + I3(sphere b) from * ; just wondering what the justification is, as 2/5Mi/r^2 is I for a sphere through it's centre of mass, which is any possible axes passing through the centre of axe, I believe, due to the symmetry of the body. So justifying why we can simply add these two, is because I3 passes through the centre of BOTH bodies.

2) I'm not really understanding the application of the displaced axes theorem. I believe it is being applied to I3. And I don't really understand the part of the theorem ' If we know the moment of inertia tensor using the center of mass as the origin and wish to know the moment of inertia of a tensor about the origin displaced by a, a constant vector, it is given by..'. As applied to I1/I2 from I3 because , as daft as it sounds, don't I1,I2,I3 share the same origin - the centre of mass, as defined in the beginning.
So perhaps I am going wrong in the way that we need to apply this theorem to the spheres in turn, starting with an arbitrary axis through the centre of the sphere (anything due to the symmetry) and ending with I2/I3?

Many many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this, greatly appreciated :) !

Attachments

• DUMBBELL.png
    DUMBBELL.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
It then deduces that: I1=I2=2/5(M1a^2)+M1(M2R/(M1+M2))^2+2/5(M2a^2)+M2(M1R/(M1+M2))^2
2/5(M1a2)+M1(M2R/(M1+M2))2+2/5(M2b2)+M2(M1R/(M1+M2))2 I hope
So justifying why we can simply add these two, is because I3 passes through the centre of BOTH bodies.
Yes. Remember that the M of I is the integral ∫r2.dm where r is the distance of the mass element from the axis. Clearly the integral for the whole structure is just the sum of the integrals for the two spheres taken separately.
2) I'm not really understanding the application of the displaced axes theorem. I believe it is being applied to I3.
No, it's being applied to axes through the centre of the sphere and parallel to I1 and I2.
I3 is not relevant here.

Related to Moment of Inertia tensor - displaced axes theorem:

What is the Moment of Inertia tensor?

The Moment of Inertia tensor, also known as the inertia tensor or the mass moment of inertia, is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It takes into account the distribution and mass of an object in relation to a given axis of rotation.

How is the Moment of Inertia tensor calculated?

The Moment of Inertia tensor is calculated by integrating the mass of an object over its entire volume, taking into account the distance of each infinitesimal element of mass from a given axis of rotation. This results in a symmetric 3x3 matrix with the moments of inertia for each axis of rotation on the diagonal and the products of inertia on the off-diagonal elements.

What is the displaced axes theorem?

The displaced axes theorem states that the Moment of Inertia tensor for an object can be calculated with respect to any set of coordinate axes, as long as the axes are parallel to the original set of axes. This means that the Moment of Inertia tensor is independent of the choice of coordinate axes.

Why is the displaced axes theorem useful?

The displaced axes theorem is useful because it allows for the calculation of the Moment of Inertia tensor in different coordinate systems, making it easier to analyze and compare the rotational behavior of an object. It also simplifies the calculations for objects with irregular shapes or complex distributions of mass.

How is the displaced axes theorem applied in real-world situations?

The displaced axes theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the rotational behavior of objects such as airplanes, satellites, and sports equipment. It is also used in robotics and computer graphics to simulate and control the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.