Implicit Function Theorem Generalization

In summary, the Implicit Function Theorem says that locally the set where f(x,y) = 0 in the (x,y) plane looks like a graph of a function y(x). If the derivative of f is nonzero, then f is equivalent to projection on one of the two “axes” or factor spaces.
modnarandom
How is the Implicit Function Theorem listed here (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemat...anifolds-fall-2004/lecture-notes/lecture4.pdf) a generalization of the usual one seen in multivariable calculus (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_function_theorem)? I've also looked at the Banach space version listed in the Wikipedia article, but I still can't figure out how the version on OCW relates to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the usual implicit function theorem says that locally the set where f(x,y) = 0 in the (x,y) plane looks like a graph of a function y(x). But actually it gives you that also all nearby curves where f(x,y) = t, for t near zero, also each look like a graph of a function.

So the point is that under the given condition on the derivative of f not being zero, the curves f(x,y) = t, for all t near zero, form a smooth family of roughly parallel curves.
But if they are smooth and parallel they should be able to be straightened out into a family of parallel lines.

Now the simplest function f for which that is true is projection on an axis. So the first abstract version of your theorem, the one at MIT, says if the derivative of the function is non zero enough (and because you are in infinite dimensions you also have to assume the domain of the linearization of the function, the derivative, can be split into two factors), then your function is equivalent to projection on one of the two “axes” or factor spaces.

does this help? i.e. you are trying to show that the set where f(x,y) = 0 is locally a graph y(x), i.e. that locally it projects isomorphically onto the x axis. but this is true for the projection map taking (x,y)-->y, since then the level set where the function equals zero, is the set of points (x,0), which clearly projects

via (x,0)-->x, isomorphically onto the x axis. so showing your function f is equivalent to projection does it.another way of saying it is to say that locally f can be used to replace y as a coordinate, i.e. that locally every point is determined by the 2 numbers (x,f(x,y)). that says we can coordinatize the plane near our point by x and f(x,y) instead of x and y. I.e. we can assume f(x,y) = y, i.e. f is projection onto the y axis.

is any of this making sense? if it makes you feel bettter i spent an awful lot of years thinking about why all these are the same. and after contemplating the banach version for a long time i was still puzzled when a mathjematician said all it means is locally you can solve for some of the variables in terms of the others,. i went "huh?" i.e. in one of my formulations above, f(x,y) = 0 is locally a graph y(x), i.e. y is locally determined by x, on the set where f(x,y) = 0

Last edited:
Hi https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/implicit-function-theorem.821569/members/modnarandom.425664/ ,
do you need an infinite-dimensional version of Theorem 5.2 as it was given in the notes, or are you OK with a version for finite-dimensional spaces?
If you need a general version for Banach spaces are you familiar with fundamentals of functional analysis, like Banach open map theorem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Implicit Function Theorem Generalization

What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that establishes a relationship between the derivatives of a multivariable function and its implicit equation. It states that if a function is continuously differentiable and has a non-zero derivative at a point, then it can be locally represented by an explicit function.

What is the significance of the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is significant because it allows us to find an explicit solution for a multivariable function, which may otherwise be difficult to obtain. It also helps in solving systems of equations and determining the behavior of a function near a point.

How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Implicit Function Theorem has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve optimization problems, model physical systems, analyze economic relationships, and design algorithms for computer graphics and machine learning.

What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

There are three main conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold: 1) The function must be continuously differentiable.2) The derivative of the function must be nonzero at the point of interest.3) The implicit equation must define the function explicitly in terms of one of the variables.

Are there any limitations to the Implicit Function Theorem?

One limitation of the Implicit Function Theorem is that it only applies locally, meaning it can only be used to find an explicit solution near a point. It also does not work for all implicit equations and may fail to provide an explicit solution if the conditions are not met.