If X is a left invariant vector field, then L_x o x_t = x_t o L_x

In summary: L_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1} = x_t In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between left invariant vector fields and the flow of a Lie group. The goal is to show that the flow can be expressed as the composition of left translation maps. The conversation also mentions using the chain rule to simplify the expression and gives a solution using it.
demonelite123
If X is a left invariant vector field, then [itex] L_x \circ x_t = x_t \circ L_x [/itex], where xt is the flow of X and Lx is the left translation map of the lie group G.

In order to show this, I am trying to show that [itex] x_t = L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex] by showing that [itex] L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex] is the flow of [itex] dL_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1} [/itex]. So i want to show that [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1}) = dL_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1}[/itex].

I am having some trouble with the chain rule and was wondering if someone could help me out. so far, i have [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1}) = d(L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = (dL_x \circ dx_t \circ dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) [/itex] but i am not sure how to simplify this.

i know of 2 different ways to manipulate tangent vectors. i have tried [itex] (dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t})=(L_x^{-1} \circ \gamma)′ [/itex] where γ is the curve that goes through the vector [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex], but that doesn't seem to get me to where i want. i also tried using the fact that [itex] (dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t})f = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(f \circ L_x^{-1})[/itex] so [itex](dL_x \circ dx_t \circ dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = dL_x \circ X \circ (f \circ L_x^{-1}) [/itex]but now i have an f in there i can't get rid of.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you! The solution is as follows: \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(L_x \circ x_t \circ L_x^{-1}) = (dL_x \circ dx_t \circ dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = dL_x \circ X \circ (L_x^{-1} \circ \gamma)′ = dL_x \circ X \circ \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(L_x^{-1}) = dL_x \circ X \circ (-dL_x^{-1})(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}) = dL_x \circ X \circ L_x^{-1}

Related to If X is a left invariant vector field, then L_x o x_t = x_t o L_x

1. What is a left invariant vector field?

A left invariant vector field is a type of vector field on a Lie group that remains unchanged under left translations. This means that if the vector field is applied to any point on the group, and then the group is left translated, the resulting vector will still be the same as the original one.

2. What is the significance of left invariance in this context?

Left invariance is significant because it allows us to define a vector field that is consistent across all points on the group. This is useful in studying the behavior of the group and its transformations.

3. What is the meaning of L_x and x_t in the equation?

L_x represents the left translation of the vector x, while x_t represents the flow of the vector field at time t. The equation is stating that the flow of a left invariant vector field is the same as applying a left translation to the flow of the vector field.

4. How does this equation relate to Lie groups and their transformations?

This equation is a fundamental property of Lie groups and their transformations. It shows that left translations and the flow of a left invariant vector field are closely related and can be used interchangeably in certain situations.

5. Can this equation be extended to other types of vector fields?

Yes, this equation can be extended to right invariant vector fields as well, where the right translations and the flow of the vector field are equivalent. It can also be generalized to other types of vector fields on different types of mathematical objects.