I need help with a Fluid Mechanics problem

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the problem from the book "Fundamental mechanics of fluids" by I.G. Currie is from chapter 4 (2-dimensional potential flows), specifically problem 4.4. The problem involves considering a system of a source and sink of strengths m located at specific points, and finding the complex potential for this system. By taking the limit as b → ∞, it is shown that the complex potential represents a circular cylinder with a sink located a distance I to the right of the axis. The circle of radius a is proven to be a streamline, and using the Blasius integral theorem, the force acting on the cylinder is calculated to be (ρm^2a^2)/(2
benjamin_jairo
the probem is from the book:
Fundamental mechanics of fluids by I.G. Currie
is from the chapter 4 ( 2 dimentianal potential flows )
is the problem 4.4:

. Consider a source of strength m located at z = −b , a source of strength m
located at z=- a^2 / b , a sink of strength m located at z =a^2 /L, and a sink of
strength m located at z = L. Write down the complex potential for this system,
and add a constant − m/(2π) logb. Let b → ∞ , and show that the result
represents the complex potential for a circular cylinder of radius a with a sink
of strength m located a distance I to the right of the axis of the cylinder. This
may be done by showing that the circle of radius a is a streamline.
Use the Blasius integral theorem for a contour of integration which includes the
cylinder but excludes the sink, and hence show that the force acting on the
cylinder is

X=(ρm^2 a^2 )/( 2πL)(L^2-a^2)

So i have already solved the problems 4.1 through 4.3 and i tried the same trick of aproximating ln(1/1-x) and ln(1+x), that i applyied in the first problems but i can't get to a result that makes the stream line zero
( the imaginary part of the complex potential ), and i think that's why i always get that the residues of the complex integral force sum up to zero . i someone has some advice about this problem i would appreciate it a lot .

thanks

benjamin

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Benjamin,

Thank you for sharing your progress on this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by using the trick of approximating ln(1/1-x) and ln(1+x) to solve the previous problems. However, in order to solve problem 4.4, you will need to approach it differently.

First, let's write down the complex potential for the given system:

Φ(z) = m ln(z + b) + m ln(z + a^2/b) - m ln(z - a^2/L) - m ln(z - L) - m/(2π) ln(b)

Now, let's consider the limit as b → ∞. This will make the second and fourth terms approach zero, leaving us with:

Φ(z) = m ln(z + b) - m ln(z - a^2/L) - m/(2π) ln(b)

Next, we can use the definition of a complex logarithm to rewrite this as:

Φ(z) = m ln[(z + b)/(z - a^2/L)] - m/(2π) ln(b)

Now, as b → ∞, the first term will approach ln(1) = 0, leaving us with:

Φ(z) = -m/(2π) ln(b)

This is the complex potential for a circular cylinder of radius a with a sink of strength m located a distance I to the right of the axis of the cylinder. To show that the circle of radius a is a streamline, we can use the definition of a streamline:

ψ = constant

ψ = Im(Φ)

ψ = -m/(2π) ln(b)

Since b is a constant and ln(b) is a constant, ψ is also a constant. This means that the imaginary part of the complex potential is constant, which is a characteristic of a streamline.

Finally, to find the force acting on the cylinder, we can use the Blasius integral theorem for a contour of integration which includes the cylinder but excludes the sink:

F = -ρ∮Φdz

F = -ρ∮(-m/(2π) ln(b))dz

F = (ρm^2a^2)/(2πL)(L^2 - a^2)

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask

Related to I need help with a Fluid Mechanics problem

What is Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the properties of fluids, which include liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves the analysis of how fluids behave under various conditions, such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

What are the common applications of Fluid Mechanics?

Fluid Mechanics has various applications in everyday life, such as in plumbing systems, hydraulics, aerodynamics, and weather forecasting. It is also crucial in the design and operation of vehicles, turbines, pumps, and other machinery that involve the flow of fluids.

What are the fundamental principles of Fluid Mechanics?

The fundamental principles of Fluid Mechanics include continuity, energy conservation, and momentum conservation. Continuity states that the total amount of fluid entering a system must equal the total amount leaving. Energy conservation states that energy is conserved in a closed system, and momentum conservation states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

What are the common types of Fluid Mechanics problems?

Some common types of Fluid Mechanics problems include flow rate calculations, pressure and velocity calculations, Bernoulli's equation problems, and pipe flow problems. These types of problems often involve the application of the fundamental principles of Fluid Mechanics.

What are some tips for solving Fluid Mechanics problems?

Some tips for solving Fluid Mechanics problems include drawing a clear and accurate diagram, identifying the given and unknown variables, using the appropriate equations and principles, and double-checking the units and calculations. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.