How to Solve for h When Choosing a Value of a in a Parabola Equation?

• Thread starter aspirare21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses parabolas with a vertex on the x-axis, axis parallel to the y-axis, and a fixed distance from focus to vertex represented by "a". The question asks to choose a value for "a" and then pick a value for "h", and the goal is to show that when "a" is chosen, "h" can be derived in a differential equation.
aspirare21

Homework Statement

Parabolas with vertex on the x-axis,with axis parallel to the y-axis,and with distance from focus to vertex fixed as "a".

the question is pick your own value of "a". Then for "a" value pick value of "h". What does it mean? I'm confuse.. T__T

Homework Equations

(x-h)² = ±4a(y-k)
(x-h)² = ±4ay

k=0

The Attempt at a Solution

(x-h)² =4ay
2(x-h) =4ay'

answer is (x-h) 2ay'

square both sides
(x-h)² = 4a²(y')²

substitute
4a²(y')² = 4ay
a(y')² = y

I don't know what will happen if i choose a value of "a" then it will generate a value of "h".. T__T

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all the question says? Is there another part to the question? If not, OK, a=2 and h=3. Any value of a and h except a=0 will satisfy the conditions given in the question.

I forgot.. the answer should be in differential equation. show that when you pick "a" you should derive "h". Kindly confusing to me..

Related to How to Solve for h When Choosing a Value of a in a Parabola Equation?

1. What is a family of curves problem?

A family of curves problem is a mathematical concept where a set of equations or functions share similar characteristics and can be represented by a general equation. This allows for a range of solutions to be found within the family of curves, rather than a single solution.

2. How do you identify a family of curves problem?

A family of curves problem can be identified by looking for a common variable or parameter in a set of equations or functions. This variable will typically have the same exponent or coefficient in each equation, and the equations will have a similar form.

3. What is the significance of a family of curves problem?

A family of curves problem is significant because it allows for a range of solutions to be found within a set of equations rather than being limited to a single solution. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where multiple solutions may be needed for different scenarios.

4. How do you solve a family of curves problem?

To solve a family of curves problem, you must first identify the general equation that represents the family of curves. Then, you can plug in different values for the common parameter or variable to find specific solutions within the family of curves.

5. What are some real-life applications of family of curves problems?

Family of curves problems have many real-life applications, such as in physics for finding the trajectory of a moving object, in engineering for determining the optimal design of a structure, and in economics for analyzing supply and demand curves. They are also used in fields like biology and chemistry to model complex systems and predict outcomes.