Find a function of two variables with these propertes. .

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function of two variables with level curves that are parabolas with a hole at the origin. The suggested solution is y = ax^2 and the conversation also mentions considering other constants and the gradient of the function.
Vampire

Homework Statement

Find a function of two variables whose level curves are parabolas with vertex (0,0) with a hole in the parabolas at the origin.

Homework Equations

No special equations come to mind.
4ay=x2 may be a little useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I thought of was y=x3/x, but that doesn't include the third variable. I know the parabolas can have any value for a or face any direction, but I do not know how to include z so that the function will remain having level curves as stated.

Are there any other functions with these properties? Any input will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
so i assume by z you mean the function z = F(x,y) we are trying to find?

so we have the level curves of z = F(x,y), given by F(x,y) = c, for some constant a, are given by y = ax^2, for some constant a.

What if we set the constants the same?

F(x,y) = a --> y = a^x2
hopefully this will get you started...

a few other things to consider.
- The solution for F(x,y) is not uniquie - can you find the full family of solutions?
- The gradient of F(x,y) will be perpindicular to a level curve at any point, useful check
- The levels curevs have a "hole" at (0,0), why & what does this imply for F(x,y)?

Related to Find a function of two variables with these propertes. .

1. What exactly are the properties that the function should have?

The properties that the function should have include two variables, a domain and a range. The domain and range can be any set of real numbers, and the function should map each element in the domain to a unique element in the range.

2. How do I find a function with these properties?

To find a function with these properties, you can start by considering different types of functions such as linear, quadratic, exponential, or trigonometric functions. Then, you can manipulate the variables and constants in these functions to satisfy the given properties.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of function that can be used?

There are no restrictions on the type of function that can be used as long as it satisfies the given properties. However, it is important to choose a function that is appropriate for the given problem or situation.

4. Can I use more than two variables in the function?

Yes, you can use more than two variables in the function as long as it still satisfies the given properties. However, using more variables may complicate the function and make it more difficult to find a solution.

5. How do I know if I have found the correct function?

You can check if you have found the correct function by plugging in values from the domain and making sure that the function maps them to the correct values in the range. You can also graph the function to visually see if it satisfies the given properties.