How to remove protection from flash memory?

In summary, to remove write protection from a flash drive or SD card, you can check for a physical lock switch on the device or use the diskpart command in the command prompt. If the device is protected with third-party software, you may need to use the software to remove the protection. On a Mac, you can try using the Terminal command "sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/(name of flash drive)" to remove write protection. If all else fails, reformatting the device may be necessary.
transporter84
hi guys >>>>

i have 4 giga transcend flash memory , and it was working in normal way , but now it doesn't accept to write or delete any files , giving message " the disk is write protected"

ther is no hard lock on the flash ... also i tried to format it ...but it didn't accept for the same reason .

if anyone have an idea .. please tell us .

thanks .

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe its a virus or something, did you try it on another PC?

Hi transporter84, what OS are you using?

Related to How to remove protection from flash memory?

1. How do I remove write protection from my flash drive?

To remove write protection from a flash drive, you can check if there is a physical lock switch on the side of the drive and make sure it is in the unlocked position. If there is no lock switch, you can try using diskpart command in the command prompt to remove the protection. If these methods do not work, the drive may be corrupted and you may need to reformat it.

2. Can I remove protection from a protected USB flash drive?

Yes, you can remove protection from a protected USB flash drive by using diskpart command in the command prompt. However, if the drive is protected with third-party software, you may need to use the software to remove the protection.

3. How do I remove write protection from an SD card?

To remove write protection from an SD card, you can check if there is a physical lock switch on the side of the card and make sure it is in the unlocked position. If there is no lock switch, you can try using diskpart command in the command prompt to remove the protection. If these methods do not work, the card may be corrupted and you may need to use a different card.

4. Can I remove protection from a protected microSD card?

Yes, you can remove protection from a protected microSD card by using diskpart command in the command prompt. However, if the card is protected with third-party software, you may need to use the software to remove the protection.

5. How can I remove write protection from a flash drive on a Mac?

To remove write protection from a flash drive on a Mac, you can try using the "sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/(name of flash drive)" command in the Terminal. If this does not work, you may need to reformat the drive.