How to quantify fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

In summary, the conversation is about the case of an electrode of finite width in contact with an N doped region and the difficulty in finding analytical expressions for the field in this region. The potential should be a "flat bottomed well", but solving Poissons equation gives a normal symmetric quadratic potential well. The question is asking for ideas on how to solve this problem.
deusexlumina

Homework Statement

This isn't homework or coursework as such, but i thought it may be the best place to ask this question. The last time i posted in the other section it was deleted!

Im considering the case of an electrode of finite width L in the x direction. The y direction is perpendicular to the electrode. The electrode is in contact with an N doped region, donor concentration is ND. The region is depleted so that these are the fixed charges. As i approach the end of the electrode in the x direction, the potential drops off rapidly. This is particularly important for the work I am doing. The problem is i cannot find any analytical expressions for the field in this region. The potential should be a "flat bottomed well", with the width of the "flat bottom" determined by the width of the electrode. I tried solving Poissons equation, but it gave me a normal symmetric quadratic potential well. Any ideas?

Homework Equations

Poissons equation

2∅ = (-qNd)/εsi

The Attempt at a Solution

solving it, with the boundary condition that the field is 0 at the edge of the electrode gives:

∅(y) = (-qNDy2)/esi +C1y + C2

The Cs are constants of integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is, this gives a normal symmetric quadratic potential well, not the "flat bottomed" one i was expecting. Any ideas?

Related to How to quantify fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

1. What is the purpose of quantifying fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

The purpose of quantifying fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode is to understand the distribution of electric fields around the electrode and how it affects the overall performance of the electrode. This information can be used to optimize the design of the electrode for specific applications.

2. How do you measure the fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

The fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode can be measured using various techniques such as numerical simulations, analytical solutions, or experimental methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific situation and resources available.

3. What factors affect the fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

The fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode are affected by several factors including the geometry and dimensions of the electrode, the dielectric properties of the surrounding medium, and the applied voltage. These factors can be manipulated to control the strength and distribution of the fringing fields.

4. What are the consequences of high fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

High fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode can lead to undesirable effects such as electric breakdown, non-uniform electric field distribution, and increased power losses. These can affect the performance and reliability of the electrode and should be minimized for optimal operation.

5. How can fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode be reduced?

Fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode can be reduced by adjusting the dimensions and shape of the electrode, using dielectric materials with lower permittivity, and optimizing the applied voltage. Additionally, using shielding or grounding techniques can also help reduce the effects of fringing fields.