How to calculate the Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0}?

In summary: This is exactly the same integral as the one we started with, so we have shown that \int_0^{ + \infty } {f(x,0)dx} = 1/2 \pi \int_0
kakarotyjn
S={(x,0)|x>0} on R^2-{0},I need to calculate the closed Poincare dual of S.

Assume [tex] \omega=f(x,y)dx+g(x,y)dy [/tex] on [tex]R^2[/tex]-{0} have compact support.Then we need to find a form [tex] \eta [/tex]in [tex]H^1 (R^2 - {0} )[/tex] satisfying [tex] \int\limits_S {i^* \omega = \int\limits_M {\omega \wedge \eta } } [/tex],

The book let me prove [tex] d\theta /2\pi[/tex]([tex] \theta [/tex]is the angle function) is the poincare dual.

But in my calculation,[tex]\int\limits_S {i^* \omega = \int_0^{ + \infty } {f(x,0)dx} } [/tex] and [tex]
1/2\pi \int\limits_M {\omega \wedge d\theta } = 1/2 \pi \int_0^{ + \infty } {dr} \int_0^{2\pi } {(f(r\cos \theta ,r\sin \theta )\cos \theta + g(r\cos \theta ,r\sin \theta )\sin \theta )d\theta } [/tex] ,how to prove they are equal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's clarify what the closed Poincare dual of S is. The closed Poincare dual of S is a differential form \eta such that \int\limits_S {i^* \omega = \int\limits_M {\omega \wedge \eta } } for any differential form \omega on R^2-{0} with compact support. In other words, it is a form that "pairs" with \omega to give the integral over S.

Now, in order to prove that d\theta /2\pi is the closed Poincare dual of S, we need to show that \int_0^{ + \infty } {f(x,0)dx} = 1/2 \pi \int_0^{ + \infty } {dr} \int_0^{2\pi } {(f(r\cos \theta ,r\sin \theta )\cos \theta + g(r\cos \theta ,r\sin \theta )\sin \theta )d\theta }.

To do this, we can use the change of variables formula for integrals. Let u = r\cos \theta and v = r\sin \theta. Then, our integral becomes:

1/2 \pi \int_0^{ + \infty } {dr} \int_0^{2\pi } {(f(u,v)\cos \theta + g(u,v)\sin \theta )d\theta } = 1/2 \pi \int_0^{ + \infty } {dr} \int_0^{2\pi } {(f(u,v)u + g(u,v)v)d\theta }

Note that we can change the order of integration here because all of the functions involved have compact support. Now, using the fact that r = \sqrt{u^2 + v^2}, we can rewrite the integral as:

1/2 \pi \int_0^{ + \infty } {dr} \int_0^{2\pi } {(f(u,v)\sqrt{u^2 + v^2}\cos \theta + g(u,v)\sqrt{u^2 + v^2}\sin \theta )d\theta }

Then, using the fact that \cos \theta = u/\sqrt{u^2 + v^2} and \sin \theta = v/\sqrt

Related to How to calculate the Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0}?

What is the Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0}?

The Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0} is a closed 1-form, or a closed loop, on the 2-dimensional surface R2-{0}. It represents the intersection of the ray with the surface, and can be used to calculate properties such as the winding number or linking number.

How do you calculate the Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0}?

To calculate the Poincare dual of a ray on R2-{0}, you first need to parametrize the ray as a function of a single variable. Then, you can use the parametrization to create a closed loop on the surface R2-{0}. Finally, you can integrate the 1-form over this loop to calculate its value.

What is the significance of the Poincare dual in mathematics?

The Poincare dual is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and algebraic topology. It allows us to relate geometric objects, such as manifolds, to algebraic objects, such as forms. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetic fields and cohomology.

Is the Poincare dual unique?

No, the Poincare dual is not unique. There are multiple closed 1-forms that can represent the same ray on R2-{0}. However, they will all have the same integral over any closed loop on the surface. This is known as the de Rham cohomology theorem.

What other concepts are related to the Poincare dual?

The Poincare dual is closely related to other concepts in differential geometry and algebraic topology, such as cohomology, homology, and the de Rham cohomology theorem. It is also related to the Hodge dual, which is a generalization of the Poincare dual to higher dimensions.