How Do You Calculate Voltage Across Each Resistor in a Mixed Circuit?

In summary: Ohms. In summary, to find the voltage across each resistor in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law by calculating the current flowing through the circuit and then multiplying it by the resistance of each individual resistor. You can also use the formula V=I*R to calculate the voltage drop across a specific resistor. However, be sure to convert all units to Volts, Amps, and Ohms before doing the calculations.
the_d
I have a 12V power source in a circuit and 4 resistors in a line and 1 on the side how do i find the voltage across each resistor?:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't given us resistor values and your description is vague. Oh yeah by the way, this sounds like homework.

Do you have a diagram?

From your description it seems like all of the resistors are in series. Do you know what to do when resistors are in series?

After you find that out, use Ohm's Law.

Try to simply the circuit by combining the resistors to get an equivalent circuit. If ur resistors is in series, add the resistance. If in parallel do 1/r+1/r2=1/Requvilant.

Well, asking the current (I) with no resistance is like asking how long is a piece of string to find the total Resistance in a parralel circuit then =
R1 X R2 / R1 + R2

And the current can be worked out by I = V/R

I have a 12V power source in a circuit and 1 resistors in a line of 1k , how do i find the voltage across resistor?

please help me?

i want some basic formula so i can calculate the voltage across each resistor..

thank you

If you have 12 volts across a string of resistors in series. the current flowing is 12 / total resistance.
Say the total resistance is 5430 ohms. The current will be 12 volts / 5430 ohms = 2.21 mA

Now, this current flows through all the resistors in series, so the voltage across anyone of them = I * R.

If R= 337 ohms, then the voltage across it will be 0.00221 amps * 337 ohms = 0.744 volts.You can get the same result by doing it like this: 12 volts * 337 ohms / 5430 ohms = 0.744 volts.

So, if you know the total resistance and the voltage across it, you can work out the voltage across any resistor in the series string.

Hello,

Thanks for reply. i have read somewhere that to find out the voltage across resistor do this

Calculate the amount of voltage drop or reduction in an electrical circuit that has a power source of "100" volts at "0.1" amperes and a resistor of "100" ohms. Using the formula "V=I*R" the equation would result "V= 0.1*100". The answer would be "10" volts. This means that a voltage reduction of "10" volts would occur across the "100"-ohm resistor and the circuit would have only "90" volts of power past the resistor placed in the circuit.

is that right ?

but when i do myself i am not getting correct values.

i have 0.02 mA and 1kohms but when i multiple that i write this way :

0.02 * 1000 = 20v

this is not right i have 12v main power and after doing this i am getting 20v how it will subtract 20 from 12.

then i found 1 more simple formule to figure it out what resistor i need for any object,

e.g.

r = es - eb / i

12v - 5v / 0.02 = 350 ohms

is this also right ?

please help me...

The Ohms Law calculations have to be done with Volts, Amps and Ohms.

So, if you have 0.02 mA you need to convert this to 0.00002 Amps before doing the calculation.

So this one:
12v - 5v / 0.02 = 350 ohms
should be
7 / 0.00002 = 350 K

Related to How Do You Calculate Voltage Across Each Resistor in a Mixed Circuit?

What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that pushes electric charges through a circuit.

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is designed to resist the flow of electric current. It is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit, and is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is voltage across a resistor calculated?

The voltage across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In equation form, it is written as V = IR.

What is the relationship between voltage and current in a resistor?

According to Ohm's law, the voltage and current in a resistor are directly proportional. This means that as voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

Why does the voltage across a resistor change?

The voltage across a resistor changes when the amount of current flowing through it changes. This can happen when the resistance of the resistor changes, or when the voltage of the circuit changes.