How Do You Calculate the Length of a Crease in a Folded Notecard?

• Thread starter um0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the equation for the length of the crease is:point C is a point created by me.the dotted line is the crease.the red line is point A to Point C.The Attempt at a Solutioni don't even know where to start i have realized that the distance from Point A to Point C(the red line in the diagram) is equal to Point B to Point C. But i don't know how to prove that algebraically, and i don't know how to find the length of the crease.Here's an image of the folded card that might help you:so the length of h would be \sqrt{(5-2x
um0123

Homework Statement

Take a 3" X 5" notecard and fold it such that point A is on top of point B. Find the length of the crease algebraically.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9913/notecard.jpg

point C is a point created by me.
the dotted line is the crease.
the red line is point A to Point C.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know where to start i have realized that the distance from Point A to Point C(the red line in the diagram) is equal to Point B to Point C. But i don't know how to prove that algebraically, and i don't know how to find the length of the crease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an image of the folded card that might help you:

forumrectangle.jpg

so the length of h would be [tex]\sqrt{(5-2x)^2 + (3)^2}[/tex]

which equals
[tex]\sqrt{4x^2-20 x+34}[/tex]

i don't even know how that simplifies.
and how do i find out the correct value of x?

i feel like in not doing the correct thing.

Look at the left-most triangle to get an equation you can solve for x.

oh, i see. solving that i get x = 1.6

then if i plug it into my equation i got hot h i get [tex]\sqrt{12.24}[/tex]

but i have one problem, when i plugged 1.6 into that whole equation on of the steps is [tex]\sqrt{10.24 - 32 + 34}[/tex]

if you add the 32 and 34 together to get 66 before you subtract it from 10.24 you get a negative number under the sqrt, which would mean its imaginery (and we know it can't be). But if you subtract 32 from 10.24 before adding the 34 you get the answer i just posted. This would go agianst the order of operations which states addition goes first. Or is this a case where you just go left to right?

edit: also what is the rule that states that point A to point C, and point B to point C, must be equal?

Last edited:
for addition and subtraction, you have to do from left to right. I don't remember there is a rule that states addition goes first. Only know about do multiplication and division first, then addition and subtraction.
or if you want, you can rewrite the equation like this [tex]\sqrt{10.24-(32-34)}[/tex].

um0123 said:
oh, i see. solving that i get x = 1.6

then if i plug it into my equation i got hot h i get [tex]\sqrt{12.24}[/tex]

edit: also what is the rule that states that point A to point C, and point B to point C, must be equal?

The square root of 12.24 , or approximately 3.498 is correct.

If you look at the picture I drew, the line on top of AC unfolds to give line CB. My picture isn't perfectly to scale.

LCKurtz said:
The square root of 12.24 , or approximately 3.498 is correct.

If you look at the picture I drew, the line on top of AC unfolds to give line CB. My picture isn't perfectly to scale.

i see that, but i was wondering if there is a proof rule that i can state. or is it just assumed?

um0123 said:
i see that, but i was wondering if there is a proof rule that i can state. or is it just assumed?

If you label the lower right corner of the original rectangle D and the lowest point on the dotted line triangle at the bottom E, triangles ACE and CBD are congruent:

AE = BD = 3, (they are the same edge of the paper)

CE = CD = x (they are also the same edge)

and the included right angle. AC and BC are the equal hypotenuses.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Length of a Crease in a Folded Notecard?

What is the length of the crease in cricket?

The length of the crease in cricket is 8 feet and 8 inches or 2.64 meters. This measurement is standard for both men's and women's cricket.

Why is the crease important in cricket?

The crease marks the area where the batsman must stand during the delivery of the ball. It is also used to determine if a batsman is out of their crease during a run-out or stumping.

How is the length of the crease measured?

The length of the crease is measured from the outer edge of the popping crease to the center of the stumps at the bowler's end. This measurement is then doubled to get the total length of the crease.

Can the length of the crease be adjusted?

No, the length of the crease is a fixed measurement and cannot be adjusted. It is a universal standard in cricket and must be adhered to in all matches.

Are there any variations in the length of the crease in different forms of cricket?

Yes, in the shorter format of cricket, such as T20 matches, the length of the crease may be reduced to accommodate the faster pace of the game. However, the standard length of the crease remains the same for Test and ODI matches.