Length of diagonal from bottom to top

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the length of a diagonal from bottom to top. The Attempt at a Solution says that you will need to use Pythagoras theorem twice. The added line goes from point A to the corner of the box vertically below point B .The homework statement also says that AB = 3sqrt(17).
zak100
length of botton to top diagonal of a solid p462.jpg
1. Homework Statement

I have to find the length of a diagonal from bottom to top. I don't know which formula i would be using? Please see the attachment for more information.

Homework Equations

May be pythagorous theorem. But i don't know which sides i have to select

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry i need some hint.
Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Add one more line to the sketch and the way to solve this problem should become easier for you to see . The added line goes from point A to the point vertically below point B .

Last edited:
zak100 said:
View attachment 207943 1. Homework Statement

I have to find the length of a diagonal from bottom to top. I don't know which formula i would be using? Please see the attachment for more information.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry i need some hint.
Zulfi.
To add to @Nidum 's comment:

The added line goes from point A to the corner of the box vertically below point B .

Likes zak100
zak100 said:
You'll need to use Pythagoras theorem twice.

Try thinking of the line drawn as the vector <10, 7, 2>

Hi,
Thanks everybody. Post# 3 provided a clue but i came to know about this when i solved the problem. The other clue is the application of pythagorus theorem on rectangular solids which i got from the following link: https://www.google.com.pk/imgres?im...ved=0ahUKEwiA__Hz3LjVAhVHBcAKHQACAMEQ9QEIJzAA

Let K be the point below B & C is connected to both A & K
AK^2 = AC^2 + CK^2
AB^2 = AK^2 + BK^2
AB^2 = AC^2 + CK^2 + BK^2 = 100 + 49 + 4 therefore AB = 3sqrt(17).

Thanks.

Zulfi.

Related to Length of diagonal from bottom to top

1. What is the definition of "length of diagonal from bottom to top"?

The length of diagonal from bottom to top is the measurement of the distance between the bottom and top points of an object in a diagonal direction.

2. How is the length of diagonal from bottom to top different from the height or width of an object?

The length of diagonal from bottom to top is a diagonal measurement, while height and width are typically measured in a vertical or horizontal direction, respectively. The length of diagonal from bottom to top can also be longer than the height or width of an object.

3. What units are typically used to measure the length of diagonal from bottom to top?

The length of diagonal from bottom to top can be measured in various units such as inches, feet, meters, or centimeters, depending on the size and scale of the object being measured.

4. How is the length of diagonal from bottom to top calculated?

To calculate the length of diagonal from bottom to top, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the diagonal is equal to the sum of the squares of the height and width of an object.

5. Why is the length of diagonal from bottom to top an important measurement in some industries?

In some industries, such as construction or architecture, the length of diagonal from bottom to top is an important measurement because it can determine the stability and strength of a structure. It can also be used to ensure that objects or structures are properly aligned and balanced.