How do we prove that a nonzero nilpotent Lie algebra has a nontrivial center?

In summary: We start with the case that ##L^{(0)}=L^{0}##, which is the case that ##Z(L)In summary, the book states that if a Lie algebra is nilpotent, then it is solvable. The proof is by induction, starting with the case that the Lie algebra is solvable.
HDB1
Please, in the book of Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory J. E. Humphreys p.12, I have a question:

Proposition. (3.2)
. Let ##L## be a Lie algebra.

(c) If ##L## is nilpotent and nonzero, then ##Z(L) \neq 0##.

how we prove this,

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
dear @fresh_42 , if you could help, I would appreciate that, :heart:🥹

Let's start a little tutoring so that you get used to these calculations. Start with what you have.

##L## is nilpotent. Means what?

if ##
\mathfrak{g}^0=\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^1=[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}], \mathfrak{g}^2=\left[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^1\right], \ldots, \mathfrak{g}^i=\left[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^{i-1}\right]
##
A Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is called a nilpotent if ##\mathfrak{g}^n=0##,

HDB1 said:
if ##
\mathfrak{g}^0=\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^1=[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}], \mathfrak{g}^2=\left[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^1\right], \ldots, \mathfrak{g}^i=\left[\mathfrak{g}, \mathfrak{g}^{i-1}\right]
##
A Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## is called a nilpotent if ##\mathfrak{g}^n=0##,
Yes. And that means if we write it out
$$
[\mathfrak{g},\underbrace{[\mathfrak{g},[\mathfrak{g},[\mathfrak{g},[\ldots[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]\ldots ]]]]}_{=:\mathfrak{g}^{n-1}}]=0
$$
If we pick the smallest ##n## such that ##g^{n}=0## then ##g^{n-1}\neq 0## and we can pick a vector ##x\in \mathfrak{g}^{n-1}\backslash \{0\}.##

What can we say about ##x##?

• Love
Likes HDB1
fresh_42 said:
Yes. And that means if we write it out
$$
[\mathfrak{g},\underbrace{[\mathfrak{g},[\mathfrak{g},[\mathfrak{g},[\ldots[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]\ldots ]]]]}_{=:\mathfrak{g}^{n-1}}]=0
$$
If we pick the smallest ##n## such that ##g^{n}=0## then ##g^{n-1}\neq 0## and we can pick a vector ##x\in \mathfrak{g}^{n-1}\backslash \{0\}.##

What can we say about ##x##?
##x## will be in the centre, means ##Z(g)\neq 0##?

thanks a lot, :heart:

Likes fresh_42 and malawi_glenn
Please, @fresh_42 , what is about this :
If ##\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})## is nilpotent, then ##\mathfrak{g}## is nilpotent .
I know the idea, but how we can move from to ##\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})## to ##\mathfrak{g}## to prove it is nilpotent,

Thanks in advance, :heart:

Please, @fresh_42 , in general how we can prove that every nilpotent is solvable?

the opposite direction is not true, because the upper triangular matrix is nilpotent but not solvable.

HDB1 said:
Please, @fresh_42 , what is about this :
If ##\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})## is nilpotent, then ##\mathfrak{g}## is nilpotent .
I know the idea, but how we can move from to ##\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})## to ##\mathfrak{g}## to prove it is nilpotent,

This is again about the quotient's multiplication rules. We have that ##\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})## is nilpotent, so ##\left(\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})\right)^n=\{\bar 0\}.## So what is ##\bar 0 \in \mathfrak{g}/Z(\mathfrak{g})##? It is the set ##\bar 0 =0+ Z(\mathfrak{g})=Z(\mathfrak{g}).## We also have
$$
[\mathfrak{g}/Z(\mathfrak{g})\, , \,\mathfrak{g}/Z(\mathfrak{g})]=[\mathfrak{g}\, , \,\mathfrak{g}]+Z(\mathfrak{g})
$$
This means that ##0+Z(\mathfrak{g})=\bar 0=\left(\mathfrak{g} / Z(\mathfrak{g})\right)^n= \mathfrak{g}^n+ Z(\mathfrak{g})## or in other words ##\mathfrak{g}^n\subseteq Z(\mathfrak{g}).## But if ##\mathfrak{g}^n## is in the center of ##\mathfrak{g}## then
$$
\mathfrak{g}^{n+1} =[\mathfrak{g}\, , \,\mathfrak{g}^n]\subseteq [\mathfrak{g}\, , \,Z(\mathfrak{g}^n)]=\{0\}
$$
and ##\mathfrak{g}## is nilpotent.

HDB1 said:
Please, @fresh_42 , in general how we can prove that every nilpotent is solvable?

the opposite direction is not true, because the upper triangular matrix is nilpotent but not solvable.

We prove that ##L^{(n)}\subseteq L^{n}.## If the RHS gets zero (nilpotency) for some ##n## so does the LHS (solvability).

The proof is formally by induction.

• Love
Likes HDB1