How do the mrc m- and m+ buttons work on a very basic calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of memory buttons on a basic calculator. The m+ button adds the current number on the screen to memory, m- subtracts it, and mrc displays the number in memory on the screen. The conversation also provides an example of how to use these buttons and how the memory feature works.
JimmyJockstrap
Ive never used these buttons in my life.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Me either, probably because i don't even know what they are exactly for :/ and on a basic calculator? must have some use to normal math i suppose.

M+ stores the current number shown on the calculator. MRC I believe erases those numbers in memory. I don't use the basic calcs, though since I'm far too accustomed to my scientific one.

huh?

Ok,
m+ adds whatever is on the screen to memory
m- subtracts whatever is on the screen from memory
mrc is the memory recall button which displays whatever is in memory on the screen

here is an example
press mrc
press m-
This makes sure that your memory is clear
Now,
press 5 and then m+ (a small m usually appears somewhere to let you know there is something other than 0 in the memory)
now press mrc, you will see 5
press 4 and then m+
now press mrc and you will see 9 (5+4=9)
press 3 and then press m-
now press mrc and you will see 6 (9-3=6)

remember no matter what else you do, as long as you use no memory functions or switch the calculator off, that 6 will remain in memory.

oh how we love technology :wink:

Related to How do the mrc m- and m+ buttons work on a very basic calculator?

1. How do I use the MRC button on my calculator?

The MRC button on a calculator stands for "Memory Recall Clear". This button allows you to recall a previously saved number from the calculator's memory and clear the memory simultaneously. To use it, simply press the MRC button followed by the number you want to recall. The calculator will display the number and remove it from the memory.

2. What is the function of the M+ button on a calculator?

The M+ button on a calculator stands for "Memory Plus". This button allows you to add a number to the current number in the memory. To use it, simply press the M+ button followed by the number you want to add. The calculator will add the number to the current number in the memory and store the new total in the memory.

3. Can I use the MRC and M+ buttons together on a calculator?

Yes, you can use the MRC and M+ buttons together on a calculator. This is useful when you want to recall a number from the memory and then add another number to it. Simply press the MRC button followed by the M+ button and the number you want to add to the recalled number.

4. How do I clear the memory on my calculator?

To clear the memory on a calculator, simply press the MRC button twice. This will clear the current number in the memory and reset the memory to 0.

5. What happens if I try to use the MRC or M+ button when there is no number in the calculator's memory?

If there is no number in the memory when you press the MRC or M+ button, the calculator will display an error or will not perform any action. It is important to first store a number in the memory before using these buttons.