How do I pass a magnetic field to any coordinate system?

In summary, using the Biot-Savart law, the gradient of the potential can be expressed in any coordinate system as:$$\frac{dr}{dt}\times{}\triangledown{}V$$
raistlin
Hello,
For example, an electric field vector, such as the gradient of the potential, passes in the following way to any coordinate system:$$E = -\triangledown{}V = - \frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial x^i}}g^{ij}e_j$$
But what about a vector of a magnetic field? How would it be expressed in any coordinate system?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In relativity, the electric and magnetic fields are part of the electromagnetic field tensor, which is expressed as
$$
F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu,
$$
which holds in any coordinate system.

If you are just interested in the expression of the curl in curvilinear coordinates in three dimensions, you have
$$
\nabla \times \vec A = \vec e_i \eta^{ijk} \partial_j A_k,
$$
where ##\vec e_i## are the tangent vector basis vectors, ##\eta^{ijk} = (1/\sqrt{g}) \epsilon^{ijk}##, and ##A_k## are the covariant components of ##\vec A##. Here ##g## is the metric determinant.

Thanks for the answer, but it's not exactly what I was finding for ..

I know from Maxwell's third equation that:$$\triangledown{} \times{} \vec{E}= -\frac{{\partial B}}{{\partial t}}$$Therefore$$(\triangledown{} \times{} \vec{E}) {\partial t}= -{\partial \vec{B}} \Longrightarrow{} \frac{{\partial t}}{{\partial r}}\times{}\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial r}}={\partial \vec{B}}\Longrightarrow{}\vec{B}=\triangledown{}t\times{}\triangledown{}V$$ Is it correct?
And from here I do not know how to continue ..

raistlin said:
Thanks for the answer, but it's not exactly what I was finding for ..

I know from Maxwell's third equation that:$$\triangledown{} \times{} \vec{E}= -\frac{{\partial B}}{{\partial t}}$$Therefore$$(\triangledown{} \times{} \vec{E}) {\partial t}= -{\partial \vec{B}} \Longrightarrow{} \frac{{\partial t}}{{\partial r}}\times{}\frac{{\partial V}}{{\partial r}}={\partial \vec{B}}\Longrightarrow{}\vec{B}=\triangledown{}t\times{}\triangledown{}V$$ Is it correct?
And from here I do not know how to continue ..
No. Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Yes, you're right..

But if I use the Biot-Savart law I have:$$B = \displaystyle\frac{1}{c^2}v\times{}E\Longrightarrow{}B c^2= v\times{}E\Longrightarrow{}-B c^2=\frac{dr}{dt}\times{}\triangledown{}V$$How would this be to any coordinate system? Could I pass the velocity and the gradient separately and then make a cross product?

Related to How do I pass a magnetic field to any coordinate system?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon created by moving electric charges. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the field at any given point.

How is a magnetic field passed to a coordinate system?

A magnetic field can be passed to a coordinate system by using mathematical equations and vector calculus to describe the magnitude and direction of the field at each point in the system.

What is the difference between a scalar and vector quantity in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, a scalar quantity only has magnitude, such as the strength of the field. A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, such as the direction of the magnetic field lines.

Can a magnetic field be converted to different units in a coordinate system?

Yes, a magnetic field can be converted to different units in a coordinate system. This can be done using conversion factors and equations that relate different units to each other.

How do I calculate the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in a coordinate system?

The strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in a coordinate system can be calculated using the magnetic field equation, which takes into account the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the angle of the field lines at that point.