How did they get 1=A^2(L/4) when integrating?

In summary, the online pdf provided a solution for finding the normalization constant, A of ψ(x) = A cos (2πx/L) for (−L/4) ≤ x ≤ (L/4), which was achieved by integrating cos^2(2πx/L) and using the rule for integrating cos^2.
genius
I was looking for questions to practice normalizing a wave function, so I visited the following online pdf, http://people.physics.tamu.edu/syeager/teaching/222/hw1solution.pdf. The first question was to find the normalization constant, A of ψ(x) = A cos (2πx/L) for (−L/4) ≤ x ≤ (L/4). After attempting to solve it on my own I checked my answer verses that of the pdf and was surprised to see they arrived at A^2=4/L. To see their entire solution, visit the pdf.

Here was my way of solving it:

1 = ∫A^2 cos^2 (2πx/L)dx
A^2 ∫cos^2(2πx/L)dx =(A^2)((2πx/2L)+(1/4)(sin(4πx/L))
= (A^2) ((πx/L)+(sin(4πx/L)/4)
= (A^2) ((π((L/4)-(-L/4))/L)+sin((4π((L/4)-(-L/4)))/L)/4)
= (A^2)((π(L/2)/L)+sin((4π(L/2))/L)/4)
= (A^2)((π/2)+(sin(2π))/4)

so
A^2(π/2)=1
That is what I got, and from there you would get A, so I was wondering how the solution showed A^2=4/L instead of A^2=2/π?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
genius said:
A^2 ∫cos^2(2πx/L)dx = A^2 (2πx/2L)+(1/4)(sin(4πx/L)
You can see something's wrong here. The integral on the left side (not including the A2) has the same dimensions as x. But the right hand side (not including the A2) is dimensionless.

Also, there needs to be a set of parentheses so that the A2 on the right multiplies the entire right side.

TSny, I wasn't familiar on how to put in the dimensions for the right hand side with this text editor. The dimensions can be seen in the pdf, but sorry for not being able to include it.

You don't need to specify the dimensions explicitly. But you can tell that your evaluation of the integral cannot be correct by dimensional analysis.

How did you get the result
A^2 ∫cos^2(2πx/L)dx =(A^2)((2πx/2L)+(1/4)(sin(4πx/L)) ?

It appears to me that you have left out an overall factor that involves ## L## and ##\pi##.

I merely integrated cos^2(2πx/L), can you elaborate upon what I am missing? If you are correct, then maybe this missing factor could be what I am lacking!

You'll need to show your steps in the integration process. Then we can identify the specific mistake. (There's a good chance you will catch your mistake yourself while writing out the steps.)

The part I skipped was showing how I integrated, which is because of the way I learned to integrate cos^2. The following website sums up what I did, http://calc101.com/special_2.html. I basically used this rule to integrate, which is how I got the part you are asking about.

I also wrote my steps while preforming the problem, and did so at least three times. I caught a mistake once, but that didn't get me the correct answer.

My question's purpose was for someone to explain how exactly the solution was A^2=4/L? If someone could explain how the problem was integrated to get the following result, I can analyze it and derive what I am missing.

genius said:
The part I skipped was showing how I integrated, which is because of the way I learned to integrate cos^2. The following website sums up what I did, http://calc101.com/special_2.html. I basically used this rule to integrate, which is how I got the part you are asking about.
OK, this is a good way to integrate ##\cos^2 x##. But you nevertheless made a mistake here:
A^2 ∫cos^2(2πx/L)dx =(A^2)((2πx/2L)+(1/4)(sin(4πx/L))
The only way we can determine where you made the mistake is for you to show the steps in getting to the right side of the above equation. The mistake probably has to do with the fact that the link shows you how to integrate ##\cos^2 x##, but you need to integrate ##\cos^2 \left(2 \pi x/L \right)##. Show us how you handled this.

I agree that cos^2 (x) must be different than the situation we are facing. My mistake then would be foolishly treating 2πx/L as the x in cos^2(x), which upon thought would be incorrect because you are integrating it with dx. If you look at it closely you can see how I replaced x from the integration of cos^2(x) with 2πx/L in the right side. Seeing this mistake, how would I integrate cos^2(2πx/L)?

genius said:
how would I integrate cos^2(2πx/L)?
Do you recall the method of "u substitution"?

I realized that just as I sent that reply, thanks for making me analyze my mistake. I used u substitution and got the correct answer.

Great! Good work.

Related to How did they get 1=A^2(L/4) when integrating?

1. What is the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" and why is it used in integration?

The equation "1=A^2(L/4)" is used in integration to calculate the area under a curve. It represents the formula for the area of a rectangle with length L/4 and width A^2. This equation is commonly used in integration to find the area between a curve and the x-axis.

2. How is the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" derived in integration?

The equation "1=A^2(L/4)" is derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function f(x) from a to b is equal to the difference between the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at b and a. In this case, the function being integrated is A^2 and the interval is from 0 to L/4, resulting in the equation "1=A^2(L/4)".

3. Can the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" be used for any curve?

No, the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" can only be used for curves with a known function that can be integrated. It is commonly used for simple functions such as polynomials, but may not be applicable for more complex functions.

4. What is the significance of the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" in integration?

The equation "1=A^2(L/4)" is significant in integration as it allows for the calculation of the area under a curve, which can have various real-world applications. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many mathematical and scientific fields.

5. Are there other methods for calculating the area under a curve besides using the equation "1=A^2(L/4)"?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the area under a curve such as using Riemann sums or using numerical integration techniques. However, the equation "1=A^2(L/4)" is a commonly used and efficient method for calculating the area under a curve in integration.