Help with this Retraction Mechanism for a Trap

• Misc.
  • Thread starter rama3njoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the person wants to make a trap that can reset automatically. They have a simple drawing of the mechanism, which involves a hinge with a lever, held by a magnet. They have a question about how to make a switch that can trigger the motor to turn one rotation and reset the trap. They also ask for any ideas on how to make a retract mechanism with mechanical only. The conversation also discusses the use of switches and a cam to achieve this. The person clarifies that the trap is for mice and is inspired by a video from Shawn Woods. They will look into the "useless box" for a 2 switch system. Finally, they ask if a spring-loaded switch is needed for the cam wheel.
rama3njoy
Screenshot_2020-03-31-19-52-07-1879426021.png

i want make a trap that can reset automaticly.
above my simple drawing how its work, a hinge with lever, the end of lever hold by magnet. every time it swing down, wire attached on the end lever will pulled by motor with half arm.
my question is, how to make switch that trigger motor to turn one rotation? so the trap can reset automaticly.
or any idea to make retract mechanism with mechanical only?
sorry for my English, not my native language

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, what are you trying to trap? Animal traps must be humane or they are both widely illegal and not nice pieces of kit.

To make a motor turn a single turn can be done by using 2 switches to initiate the motor to turn on, and a cam.

if either switch is on, then the motor will rotate.

When the trap is triggered (I'm not sure what your trap is supposed to be trapping, if I'm honest, or what it even does) then this will trigger the first switch, and the motor starts to turn.
The cam would be a round wheel with a dent/recess in the edge. When the motor starts turning, the cam pushes a switch out. This switch remains out for one rotation, and then when the recess comes around again, the switch turns off.
If you design it so that, at this point, the trap is reset and the first switch is off, then the motor will stop.

Look into "the useless box" for a 2 switch system which completes one cycle when a switch is pressed.

some bloke said:
Firstly, what are you trying to trap? Animal traps must be humane or they are both widely illegal and not nice pieces of kit.

To make a motor turn a single turn can be done by using 2 switches to initiate the motor to turn on, and a cam.

if either switch is on, then the motor will rotate.

When the trap is triggered (I'm not sure what your trap is supposed to be trapping, if I'm honest, or what it even does) then this will trigger the first switch, and the motor starts to turn.
The cam would be a round wheel with a dent/recess in the edge. When the motor starts turning, the cam pushes a switch out. This switch remains out for one rotation, and then when the recess comes around again, the switch turns off.
If you design it so that, at this point, the trap is reset and the first switch is off, then the motor will stop.

Look into "the useless box" for a 2 switch system which completes one cycle when a switch is pressed.
its for mouse trap, just like on shawn woods video (3d print mouse dunk) but with mechanical only.
cam wheel with dent, so its need spring loaded switch?
useless box make sense, will study it now

rama3njoy said:
its for mouse trap, just like on shawn woods video (3d print mouse dunk) but with mechanical only.
cam wheel with dent, so its need spring loaded switch?
useless box make sense, will study it now

yes, you would need a sprung switch to follow the cam.

Related to Help with this Retraction Mechanism for a Trap

1. How does the retraction mechanism work?

The retraction mechanism for a trap works by using a spring-loaded system that allows for the trap to be triggered and then retracted back into its original position. When the trap is triggered, the spring is released and pulls the trap back, resetting it for future use.

2. What materials are needed to build a retraction mechanism for a trap?

The materials needed for a retraction mechanism will depend on the specific design and purpose of the trap. However, common materials include springs, levers, pulleys, and sturdy materials for the trap itself such as wood or metal.

3. Can the retraction mechanism be adjusted for different trap sizes?

Yes, the retraction mechanism can be adjusted for different trap sizes by changing the size and strength of the spring used. It is important to ensure that the spring is strong enough to pull the trap back, but not too strong that it damages the trap or becomes difficult to reset.

4. How do I ensure the retraction mechanism is safe to use?

To ensure the retraction mechanism is safe to use, it is important to test it thoroughly before setting the trap. Make sure the mechanism is working properly and that the trap is securely attached. It is also important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the trap manufacturer.

5. Can I use a retraction mechanism for traps other than animal traps?

Yes, retraction mechanisms can be used for other types of traps such as mousetraps or even in industrial settings. However, it is important to make sure the mechanism is appropriate for the specific type of trap and that all safety measures are taken into consideration.