Concept for a repeat-reset rat trap

• Thread starter kahakura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a walk-the-plank rat trap and the desire to create a repeater rat trap. Two potential ideas are suggested, one involving a paddle wheel and magnets and the other involving a zapper strip. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use a cat or a flute as an alternative to a rat trap. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a simple solution involving adding weight to the back end of the tilt board to create an automatic reset for catching multiple rats in one night.
kahakura
TL;DR Summary
I have a rat trap that catches only one rat. Then the trap must be reset. I need ideas how to progress the concept of automatic reset so I can catch multiple rats in one night.
I have a been using a very efficient rat trap. I catch many rats in it as it appeals to their curiosity about smells and ignorance about magnets.
It is a walk-the plank rat trap.
There are more than 30 rat trap ideas but this one is good because of its simplicity.
I got my idea from this man's youtube

I prefer it to automativcally reset after catching a rat. I want it to be a repeater rat trap.

I have 2 thoughts of how to do this.

1. Use a 4 spoke paddle wheel as the plank. A fixed magnet on the wall draws the nearest paddle to hold it in position. This complicates a nice simple trap. Still, it means each paddle acts as a plank when in horozontal position.

2. Combining the plank with a battery operated zapper strip. This still complicates a simple trap.
A rat walking across the fixed plank bridges two metal strips and jumps forward off the fixed plank.
By nature, they rats jump forward, not backward, when zapped.
Example of you tube using a zapper

Example of repeater trap.

Can you help me design a concept for the most simple, repeat rat trap, over a large drum of water?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kahakura said:
Summary:: I have a rat trap that catches only one rat. Then the trap must be reset. I need ideas how to progress the concept of automatic reset so I can catch multiple rats in one night.

Can you help me design a concept for the most simple, repeat rat trap
Sure, get a cat. Simple.

or a flute as in the Pied Piper of Hamlin.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Put some weight at the back end of the tilt board so it falls back to the horizontal position when the rat falls off.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Oh... just stumbled across this:

@kahakura , what a shame you focus on rats.

"Wanted: A Better Mousetrap"

would have been one of the best PF thread titles ever. :smile:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Thanks Tom,

Thanks for this helpful response.
It is a most simple solution, just as I had hoped.
I will adjust my trap to function like this one.
I'm not looking for any further solution as this seems to be a final fix.
Cheers.

Likes berkeman

Related to Concept for a repeat-reset rat trap

1. What is a repeat-reset rat trap?

A repeat-reset rat trap is a type of rodent trap that is designed to catch multiple rats without needing to be reset after each catch. It is typically set up in areas where rats are known to frequent, such as near garbage cans or in basements.

2. How does a repeat-reset rat trap work?

A repeat-reset rat trap works by using a bait to lure rats into a chamber, where they trigger a mechanism that closes the entrance and traps them inside. The trap is designed to reset itself after each catch, allowing it to catch multiple rats without needing to be manually reset.

3. Is a repeat-reset rat trap humane?

Yes, a repeat-reset rat trap is considered to be a humane method of pest control. Unlike traditional snap traps, it does not cause immediate death to the rat. Instead, it traps them alive inside the chamber, allowing for them to be released back into the wild or disposed of in a more humane manner.

4. Can a repeat-reset rat trap be used for other types of rodents?

While a repeat-reset rat trap is specifically designed for rats, it can also be used to catch other types of rodents such as mice, squirrels, and chipmunks. However, it may not be as effective for smaller rodents due to the size of the trap.

5. How do I properly set up a repeat-reset rat trap?

To properly set up a repeat-reset rat trap, first choose a location where rats are known to frequent. Then, place bait inside the chamber and set the trap according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to regularly check the trap and dispose of any caught rats in a timely manner to ensure the trap remains effective.