Given a general graph on a plane, deform the plane in 3 space

In summary, My friend is a final term math student and he needed help with a problem. I told him about differential geometry and he was a bit disappointed because it wasn't the answer he was hoping for.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just got a call from a good friend who is in the final terms of his ME degree. He needed some leads on the field of math that was needed to determine a solution to this problem.

Given a general graph on a plane, deform the plane in 3 space, now what is the equation which describes the graph.

I told him differential geometry.

Did I do right?

(I told him he should come in here and post his question, this is just in case he doesn't!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Integral

Did I do right?

yeah, i would say. or perhaps differential topology.

i have never seen this particular problem, but my differential topology class dealt with intersection theory, which uses deformations one of its tools.

Ok, thanks.
I did mention topology to him also.

He was a bit disapointed, he was hopeing for a quick foumula, not an introduction to an intire field!

Ok, thanks.
I did mention topology to him also.

He was a bit disapointed, he was hopeing for a quick foumula, not an introduction to an intire field!

well, i don t know exactly what he wants to do, but if the problem is very specific, it may have a very specific solution, in which case, you won t need to learn a whole field.

perhaps i am not understanding the problem correctly, but to me, what you are asking sounds trivial.

if i have a graph of v=f(u) in the plane, and i want to embed this plane in R3 with embedding (x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v)) then the resulting curve will have a graph given by (x(u,v(u)),y(u,v(u)),z(u,v(u)). this holds no matter what the shape of the embedding is, so if you know what you want for your deformation, then you are in business.

this seems trivial to me, so i assume i am misunderstanding the problem. but the point is, it may well be that he doesn t need to learn the whole body of differential geometry/differential topology. we can t say until we know what the question is.

is he going to post it here?

I just got a call from a good friend who is in the final terms of his ME degree. He needed some leads on the field of math that was needed to determine a solution to this problem.

Given a general graph on a plane, deform the plane in 3 space, now what is the equation which describes the graph.

Did I do right?

(I told him he should come in here and post his question, this is just in case he doesn't!

Why on Earth would you need any differential geometry for this problem?

Perhaps you should try and get him to explain what he means by deforming the plane. Basic manipulation of formulae should give you the answer

I was hoping that he would come in here and post more information.

Guess not.

Thanks for the input I will pass it along next time I see him.

Related to Given a general graph on a plane, deform the plane in 3 space

1. How can a graph on a plane be deformed in 3 space?

A graph on a plane can be deformed in 3 space by changing the positions of its vertices and edges in the third dimension, creating a three-dimensional representation of the graph.

2. What is the purpose of deforming a graph on a plane in 3 space?

The purpose of deforming a graph on a plane in 3 space is to gain a better understanding of the graph's structure and relationships between its elements, as well as to visualize the graph in a more tangible and realistic way.

3. How do you determine which direction to deform the plane in?

The direction of deformation is typically determined by the properties and characteristics of the graph, such as its connectivity, symmetry, and any existing patterns or trends.

4. Are there any limitations to deforming a graph on a plane in 3 space?

Yes, there are limitations to deforming a graph on a plane in 3 space. For example, the graph may not be able to be deformed in a way that preserves all of its original properties and relationships.

5. Can any graph on a plane be deformed in 3 space?

Not all graphs on a plane can be deformed in 3 space. Some graphs may not have a meaningful or useful representation in three dimensions, or the deformation may result in an inaccurate or distorted representation of the original graph.