Geometric Interpretation of (lower) Cohomology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of lower cohomology and fundamental groups and their relationships to different homology and cohomology theories. Pi_0(X) is defined as the set of connected components, while H_0(X;Z) counts the number of path-connected components. H^0(X;Z) also counts path-connected components and H^0 = 0 is impossible. Different theories, such as Cech cohomology, describe different things and can give varying interpretations for the same space. The theorem that elements of singular cohomology groups can be related to elements of [X,K(pi,n)] is also mentioned.
Bacle
Hi, All:

Just curious to know if there is an interpretation for lower cohomology that is as

"nice", as that of the lower fundamental groups, i.e., Pi_0(X) =0 if X is path-connected

(continuous maps from S^0:={-1,1} into a space X are constant), and Pi_1(X)=0 if

X is path-connected + simply-connected. Are there similarly-nice interpretations

for Cohomology groups, i.e., what can we know about a space X if we

know that H^0(X)=0 , and/or if H_1(X)=0 ? I am aware of Hurewicz' Theorem

(hip, hip Hurewicz) , and of Poincare Duality, but Ii don't see how to get a nice

geometric picture from this. Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
By my recollection, pi_0(X) is defined as the set of connected components. (not path conencted).

On the other hand, H_0(X;Z) is canonically isomorphic to the free abelian group on the set of path-connected components of X. So H_0 (or rather its rank) counts the # of connected components. (In particular, H_0 = 0 is impossible). And since H^0(X;Z) is always isomorphic to Hom(H_0(X;Z),Z), its rank is the same as that of H_0, so it too counts path-connected components and H^0 = 0 is impossible.

Quasar: By 0 I meant the trivial group, i.e., the group with 1 element.

And I think Pi_0(X)=0 counts the number of maps , up to homotopy from

S^0:={-1,1} into X ; so we want the image of f to contract into a constant

c, so for Pi_0 to be 0, X must be path connected. But there is too the fact that

for a map f into a space X to be trivial, X must be connected, since, I think that

contractible spaces are connected. Wikipedia says Pi_0(X)==0 iff X is path-connected.

But then path-connected implies connected, so I'm not sure.

For some reason I was interpreting "0" as "void", sorry.

Bacle- you are right about pi_0. pi_n can be associated with homotopy classes of maps from S^n into the space in question, so pi_0 counts path components.

Different homology/cohomology theories describe different things. For example, in normal homology/cohomology (e.g. simplicial, singular, etc.) H^0 again describes the number of path components (check this yourself- it's not too hard to prove!). However, there are other theories which tell you something different, for example, Cech cohomology tells you the number of connected components (not path components) [at least, I'm pretty sure of this].

For example, if your space is the topologists sine curve, then if you throw singular cohomology at it, then the zero group will be Z+Z telling you that there are two path components. Use Cech cohomology though, and it can't tell that there are two path components (I like to think of it as a sort of "blurry microscope, that can't pick out weird asymptotic behaviour, such as in the topologists sine curve), and it will give you Z saying that there is only one connected component.

In general, to get an interpretation for all cohomology groups, I'm sure you've probably seen the theorem that elements of the singular cohomology groups can be related bijectively to elements of [X,K(pi,n)], homotopy classes of maps from X into the space K(pi,n) where K(pi,n) is a Eilenberg Maclane space. So for low dimensions, a K(Z,1) is the circle, so H^1 is describing maps of X into the circle. For K(Z,2) we have the infinite projective space- the higher ones get progressively more difficult to visualise though (and the cohomology of these spaces becomes more and more tricky).

No problem, Quasar; thanks, Jamma.

Related to Geometric Interpretation of (lower) Cohomology?

1. What is the geometric interpretation of (lower) cohomology?

The geometric interpretation of (lower) cohomology is a mathematical concept that describes the topological structure of a space in terms of its holes or voids. It measures the failure of a space to be contractible, or the inability to continuously deform a shape into a single point.

2. How is (lower) cohomology related to homology?

(Lower) Cohomology is closely related to homology, as they both measure the topological properties of a space. However, while homology counts the number of holes in a space, (lower) cohomology describes the size and shape of these holes.

3. What are some applications of (lower) cohomology in science?

(Lower) Cohomology has various applications in science, particularly in the fields of geometry, differential equations, and mathematical physics. It is also used in topological data analysis to analyze and classify large datasets. Additionally, (lower) cohomology has applications in algebraic topology, differential geometry, and algebraic geometry.

4. How is (lower) cohomology computed?

There are various methods for computing (lower) cohomology, including the de Rham cohomology, singular cohomology, and sheaf cohomology. These methods use different mathematical tools and techniques to extract information about the holes in a space. The choice of method often depends on the specific properties of the space being studied.

5. Can (lower) cohomology be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, (lower) cohomology can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, there is a whole hierarchy of cohomology groups, known as higher cohomology groups, that measure the higher-dimensional holes in a space. These higher cohomology groups are useful in studying more complex spaces, such as manifolds and algebraic varieties.