Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function

In summary, the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function is a mathematical operation that converts the wave function from position space to momentum space. It is important because it allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of the hydrogen atom. The calculation involves integrating the wave function over all space and multiplying it by a complex exponential function. It has various applications in physics and engineering, but it also has limitations and assumptions, such as assuming the wave function is square-integrable and the system is in a stationary state.
Ado
Hi!

1. Homework Statement

From the website http://www1.uprh.edu/rbaretti/MomentumspaceIntegration8feb2010.htm
we can see the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogenic wave function :

Φ(p) = ∫ ∫ ∫ exp(-i p r) (Z3/π )1/2 exp(-Zr) sin(θ) dθ dφ r² dr (1.1)

After intregation of the variable φ we have :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ ∫ { exp(-i pr cos(θ ) sin(θ) dθ } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.2)

and next :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ { 2 sin(pr) /pr } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.3)

= 4π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ {sin(pr) /p} exp(-Zr) r dr

= 8 π1/2/ Z5/2 /( p² + Z² )²

And I want to understand these different steps..

Homework Equations

I don't understand the relations used between (1.1), (1.2) and (1.3) :
(1.1) to (1.2) new cos(θ ) appears
(1.2) to (1.3) sin(pr)/pr appears

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you explain me what happen between (1.1) and (1.3) ?

Tanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
In 1.1 we have exp(-ip.r). p.r is the dot product of two vectors, whose value is pr*cosθ, where θ is the angle between the vectors. I suppose in p space, which I'm not familiar with, this angle must be equal to the coordinate θ. There is a bracket missing in 1.2, which should read
Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ ∫ { exp(-i pr cos(θ) ) sin(θ) dθ } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.2)
This can be integrated over θ by using the substitution u = cosθ and the identity eix = cosx + i*sinx, to give 1.3

Thanks for your reply mjc123 !

I had applied your recommendation and I find the result in (1.3) :wink:

If I used the substitution u = cosθ, I must then integrate between 1 and -1 (cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi) = -1).

I put du = -sinθdθ, so :

exp(-i pr cos(θ) ) sin(θ) dθ = -exp(-i pr u) du = - cos(-pru)du + isin(pru)du

The complex term disappears with the integration and

1-1 - cos(-pru) du = 2sin(pr)/pr

I have just a question about the bounds of integration. At the beginning, we integrate between 0 and pi and with the substitution, between 1 and -1. The order of these bounds is important because if we integrate du between -1 and 1 we would have a negative term. My question is probably stupid but why are we constrained at the beginning to integrate between 0 and pi and not between pi and 0 ??

Thanks in advance !

A mathematician could no doubt give you a better formal explanation, but I would say basically: because the increment is dθ. You could also integrate from pi to 0 with increment -dθ.
If you think of it in terms of the area under a curve, for example, suppose you have a function y which is positive over the range x = 0 to 1, and you want the area under this curve, which of course is positive. This is ∫01ydx. We could also go from x = 1 to 0 in increments of -dx, and get ∫10y(-dx) = ∫10(-y)dx = ∫01ydx. Or think of the function y as the differential of the integral, i.e. the rate of change of the area with x. This is obviously positive (or negative if y is negative) with increasing x, i.e. positive dx. So we integrate y by dx over the interval 0 to 1, not 1 to 0. However, if we do a coordinate transformation, we must keep the initial and final limits in their transformed form, and transform dx correctly, so if we made the substitution u = e-x, we would integrate -y(u)/u*du from 1 to e-1.
Hope this is not too rubbish.

Thanks a lot for your explication mjc123 and thanks for your help!

Ado said:
Hi!

1. Homework Statement

From the website http://www1.uprh.edu/rbaretti/MomentumspaceIntegration8feb2010.htm
we can see the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogenic wave function :

Φ(p) = ∫ ∫ ∫ exp(-i p r) (Z3/π )1/2 exp(-Zr) sin(θ) dθ dφ r² dr (1.1)

After intregation of the variable φ we have :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ ∫ { exp(-i pr cos(θ ) sin(θ) dθ } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.2)

and next :

Φ(p) = 2π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ { 2 sin(pr) /pr } exp(-Zr) r² dr (1.3)

= 4π (Z3/π )1/2 ∫ {sin(pr) /p} exp(-Zr) r dr

= 8 π1/2/ Z5/2 /( p² + Z² )²

And I want to understand these different steps..

Homework Equations

I don't understand the relations used between (1.1), (1.2) and (1.3) :
(1.1) to (1.2) new cos(θ ) appears
(1.2) to (1.3) sin(pr)/pr appears

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you explain me what happen between (1.1) and (1.3) ?

Tanks in advance !
How was the Sin integral calculated in the last step?

loued said:
:welcome:

Note that this homework is from over four years ago. Hopefully Ado has graduated by now.

Or at least turned it in!

• Haha
Likes PeroK
loued said:
Use the fact that sin(pr) is the imaginary part of eipr.

Or integrate by parts.

Related to Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function

1. What is the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function?

The Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function is a mathematical operation that converts the wave function from position space to momentum space. This transformation allows for the analysis of the wave function in terms of the momentum of the particle, rather than its position.

2. Why is the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function important?

The Fourier transform is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of the hydrogen atom. By converting the wave function to momentum space, we can gain insights into the momentum distribution of the electron and its energy levels.

3. How is the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function calculated?

The Fourier transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves integrating the wave function over all space and multiplying it by a complex exponential function. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods.

4. Does the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function have any applications?

Yes, the Fourier transform has various applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics to analyze and manipulate wave functions and their properties.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the Fourier transform of the ground state hydrogen wave function?

One limitation is that the Fourier transform assumes that the wave function is square-integrable, meaning that it has a finite and well-defined integral over all space. Additionally, the transformation assumes that the system is in a stationary state, meaning that the wave function does not change over time.