Fix LG Plasma HDTV Flickering Screen Issue

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary: You could try cooling sections of the electronics and you may luck out and find a component that is overheating.
My parents have a 3yr old LG Plasma HDTV. Last month the color in the screen appeared to shift or fade. Then the screen started to flicker. Then the TV could be turned on with audio, but no screen, just black. The strange thing is that if we unplug the TV for a few hours and then plug it back in and quickly press the on button, the screen will come back, but still flicker. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of flickering, Greg? Could it be that the TV has an interlaced display and the interlace function is not working?

turbo-1 said:
What kind of flickering, Greg? Could it be that the TV has an interlaced display and the interlace function is not working?

It was like a rapid change in brightness (enough to induce seizure!). Not as if the screen was being turned on and off. The picture was always present.

btw it always happens when we use the dvd player, so its not a cable box or signal problem.

Greg Bernhardt said:
My parents have a 3yr old LG Plasma HDTV. Last month the color in the screen appeared to shift or fade. Then the screen started to flicker. Then the TV could be turned on with audio, but no screen, just black. The strange thing is that if we unplug the TV for a few hours and then plug it back in and quickly press the on button, the screen will come back, but still flicker. Any ideas?

With just the audio coming through, I naturally think check the cables since they are on different cables going to the set. At least try different input cables before running too far afield.

You could adjust the brightness and see if that makes any difference. A dimmer picture being stable might indicate that it is something like the voltage sources for the screen. You could also check to see if there is any automatic brightness enhancement settings with the set. That makes it get brighter in brighter light and dimmer at night. It could be getting flummoxed and not able to decide on what brightness to display. Try turning it off if there is one.

Otherwise if multiple sources are exhibiting the same problem - that is to say if you have multiple signals physically - one to one going in - dvd directly - cable box directly - not through the dvd or vice versa that gets selected in - then you may just have a problem with the internal electronics.

For heat influenced problems you can stress the set by using a hair dryer say pointed at isolated spots - like at the connection to the set. If the problem occurs by locally heating up the connector before the set gets too warm then you may have isolated the problem at the input. It might expose a cold solder joint or imperfect connection at the cable input. Don't run the hairdryer on the electronics, however, as that could guarantee that you then have problems in the set. This step requires a little common sense not to outright roast it. (Plastic buckling or discoloring is an indication the heat setting is too high for instance.) Especially not in front of the folks.

Failing all that, and of course if you can't convince your parents to want to spend more time on PF, call LG and maybe even ask a technician in the off chance they might give you a straight answer. Otherwise think "service guy".

Here is a video of the tv in action (13mb)

http://www.physicspost.com/tv.AVI

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Here is a video of the tv in action (13mb)

http://www.physicspost.com/tv.AVI

If that's what you are getting for all sources then I'd say it's most likely in the TV and needs repair or replacement - whichever is cost effective.

You might call LG still. Their technicians likely know which parts of the set fail most commonly and the symptoms - that is if you can ever get through to one that does know what they are talking about and not some voice in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man! That's nasty-looking, Greg. With the fast pace of development in electronics, new models every marketing cycle, etc, it could be tough to find someone to service it. I punched in the Zip codes of several Maine towns (including one 100 miles distant) to see who services LG products, and I got only one hit - a little appliance place not far from here that is essentially a one-man show. Not too reassuring. Good luck!

in addition to LoweyPions' heat tests as pointed above...
If you have a can of compressed air ( the kind used to air clean computers ) you can try cooling sections of the electronics and you may luck out and find a component that is overheating.
(The clean air will cool but not do any damage if again you use some common sense and not over do anyone area.)

It won't fix anything but it may isolate a problem that can be fixed.

Just a guess since I've never worked on a plasma.
However, since plasmas need high voltage for the display that is the circuit I would check out first.
On a regular CRT the ABL circuit (part of the HV function) would be suspect.
You might get lucky and find a bad solder joint.

hmmm suppose I'll just call the local TV guy, maybe he'll be able to fix it or atleast order a part.

Related to Fix LG Plasma HDTV Flickering Screen Issue

1. Why is my LG Plasma HDTV flickering?

There are a few potential reasons why your LG Plasma HDTV may be flickering. It could be due to a loose connection, a faulty power supply, or a problem with the screen itself.

2. How can I fix the flickering on my LG Plasma HDTV?

The first step in fixing a flickering LG Plasma HDTV is to check all of the connections and make sure they are secure. If that doesn't solve the issue, you may need to replace the power supply or have a professional repair the screen.

3. Is flickering on a LG Plasma HDTV a common problem?

Flickering on LG Plasma HDTVs is not a common problem, but it can occur due to various issues. If you are experiencing flickering, it is best to troubleshoot and address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

4. Can I prevent my LG Plasma HDTV from flickering in the future?

To prevent flickering on your LG Plasma HDTV, make sure to properly maintain and clean the TV, avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures, and use a surge protector to protect against power surges.

5. Should I attempt to fix the flickering on my LG Plasma HDTV myself?

Unless you have experience with TV repair, it is not recommended to attempt fixing the flickering on your LG Plasma HDTV by yourself. It is best to seek professional help to ensure the issue is properly diagnosed and repaired.