Fine Topology on [0,1]: Equivalence to Euclidean Topology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of fine topology and Euclidean topology in R, and whether this equivalence holds for a subset of R, [0,1]. The concept of 'equivalent' topologies is clarified, with an emphasis on whether they are the same open set. It is explained that convex functions on [0,1] are discontinuous at the boundaries, which raises questions about how they can generate the same topology as continuous functions. The definition of fine topology is requested, and the conversation concludes with a question about whether convex functions on [0,1] can still generate the same topology as they do in R.
attardnat
Can anyone please help me with this because I'm really getting confused. Thanks!

In R, we know that fine topology is equivalent to the Euclidean topology as convex functions are continuous.

Now if instead of R we consider a subset of it say [0,1], the fine topology induced on [0,1] would it be equivalent to the Euclidean topology induced on [0,1] ?

Thanks once again

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'equivalent' topologies?

I am not familiar with the fine topology, but if by equivalent topologies you simply mean 'the same topology' (i.e. the same open set), then it is of course a tautology.

yes i mean the same topology.
Convex functions on [0,1] are discontinuous at the boundaries so I don't understand how they generate the same topology as continuous functions.

Ah, so by 'induced on [0,1]' you don't mean the subspace topology. Could you define the fine topology for me? Is it the initial topology on X w.r.t. all convex functions X->R?

I am not sure if i understood you well (as I'm not very much familiar with topology)

What I am trying to ask is the following: convex functions on R generate the fine topology and convex functions on R are the continuous functions so obviosly they generate the same topology. But since on [0,1], convex functions are not continuous, can they generate the same topology?

Related to Fine Topology on [0,1]: Equivalence to Euclidean Topology?

1. What is the "Fine Topology" on [0,1]?

The fine topology on [0,1] is a type of topology, or way of defining open sets, on the interval [0,1]. It is defined as the collection of all subsets of [0,1] that can be written as a union of open intervals.

2. How does the fine topology on [0,1] compare to the Euclidean topology?

The fine topology on [0,1] is equivalent to the Euclidean topology, meaning that the two topologies have the same collection of open sets. This means that a set is open in one topology if and only if it is open in the other topology.

3. What are the advantages of using the fine topology on [0,1]?

The fine topology on [0,1] has certain advantages for studying certain types of functions or properties of the interval [0,1]. For example, it can make it easier to define and analyze continuity and differentiability of functions on [0,1].

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the fine topology on [0,1]?

One potential drawback of the fine topology on [0,1] is that it can be more difficult to visualize or understand compared to the standard Euclidean topology. This can make it harder for some people to work with and apply in certain situations.

5. How is the fine topology on [0,1] used in mathematics?

The fine topology on [0,1] is used in various branches of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and geometry. It can be used to study properties of functions and sets on [0,1], as well as to prove theorems and solve problems in these areas. It is also a useful concept for understanding and comparing different types of topologies on the interval [0,1].