Finding time from start to rest

• Thread starter MellowOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rest Time
In summary, the problem involves a car starting from rest and traveling along a straight road with a distance formula of x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3. The car accelerates from t=0 to t=5s, reaching a velocity of 14m/s. It then decelerates from t=5s to t=10s, reaching a velocity of 10m/s. To find the time it takes for the car to reach maximum velocity and return to rest, the derivative of the distance formula is taken to find the velocity formula. Setting the velocity equal to 0 and using the quadratic equation yields the solution for t.
MellowOne

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3, where b = 2.30 m/s^2 and c = 0.120 m/s^3.

How long after starting from rest is the car again at rest?

Homework Equations

dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having with this question is I can't figure out how you can find the deceleration after the car stops accelerating. I know at t = 0 the velocity is 0 m/s, at t = 5s the velocity is 14m/s, and at t = 10s, the velocity is 10m/s this means the car decelerated from t = 5s to t = 10s. How do I find the deceleration to find how long it took the car to reach maximum velocity assuming it's 14.0m/s to come back to rest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the fact that a=(delta v)/(delta t)

Ok, I got it...I just took the derivative of the distance formula which would make it into the velocity formula. Then I set the velocity equal to 0 and used the quadratic equation to find t.

Sounds right

Related to Finding time from start to rest

1. How can I measure the time it takes for an object to come to rest?

The time it takes for an object to come to rest can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when the object begins to move and stop it when the object comes to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for an object to come to rest?

The time it takes for an object to come to rest can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and the surface it is moving on. Objects with a larger mass or greater force acting on them will take longer to come to rest. Rough surfaces can also slow down the object's motion, resulting in a longer time to come to rest.

3. How does gravity impact the time it takes for an object to come to rest?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the time it takes for an object to come to rest. The force of gravity pulls the object towards the ground, causing it to accelerate. The greater the force of gravity, the faster the object will accelerate and come to rest. On Earth, the force of gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared, which means an object will accelerate 9.8 meters per second every second.

4. Can the initial velocity of an object affect the time it takes for it to come to rest?

Yes, the initial velocity of an object can affect the time it takes for it to come to rest. The initial velocity is the speed at which the object starts moving. If the object has a higher initial velocity, it will take longer for it to come to rest compared to an object with a lower initial velocity.

5. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to come to rest?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to come to rest is t = (v - u) / a, where t is time, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and a is acceleration. This formula is derived from the equation of motion, s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is distance.