Finding Normalization constant

In summary: The correct result would be:In summary, we have to find N such that the wavefunction ## \psi(x) = N. (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## is normalized. After expanding the ## (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## term inside the integral and integrating with the correct limits, we get ## \frac{1}{N^2} = \frac{l^8}{5} - \frac{2l^2}{3} + 1 ##. The exponential multiplication factor can be added to the wavefunction, which gives the result in the book as ## N = \sqrt{\frac{315}{216}} \frac{e^{i\psi}}{\sqrt{l}}##
weezy

Homework Statement

## \psi(x) = N. (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## for ##|x| < l , 0 ## otherwise

We have to find N such that this wavefunction is normalised.2. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding the ## (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## term inside the integral but this integral is extremely messy :

## \frac{1}{N^2} = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} (x^2 - l^2)^2 dx##
from which I got:
## \frac{1}{N^2} = 2[ \frac{l^8}{5} - \frac{2l^2}{3} + 1] ##

The paper which I'm following gives a completely different answer i.e.

## N = \sqrt{\frac{315}{216}} \frac{e^{i\psi}}{\sqrt{l}} ##

And you can guess, I'm totally perplexed by this result. I don't know how the exponential enters the integral or how even that number is related to this integral. Would gladly appreciate some guidance!

This is the paper I'm following and the integral appears on page 2 eqn (0.5): https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...pring-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_04S13_Lec04.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
weezy said:

Homework Statement

## \psi(x) = N. (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## for ##|x| < l , 0 ## otherwise

We have to find N such that this wavefunction is normalised.2. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding the ## (x^2 - l^2)^2 ## term inside the integral but this integral is extremely messy :

## \frac{1}{N^2} = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} (x^2 - l^2)^2 dx##
You have to integrate ##|\psi(x)|^2## so you have ##(x^2 - l^2)^4## as integrand, and the integration limits are -l and +l, as the function is zero for x>|l|
weezy said:
from which I got:
## \frac{1}{N^2} = 2[ \frac{l^8}{5} - \frac{2l^2}{3} + 1] ##

The paper which I'm following gives a completely different answer i.e.

## N = \sqrt{\frac{315}{216}} \frac{e^{i\psi}}{\sqrt{l}} ##

And you can guess, I'm totally perplexed by this result. I don't know how the exponential enters the integral or how even that number is related to this integral. Would gladly appreciate some guidance!

This is the paper I'm following and the integral appears on page 2 eqn (0.5): https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...pring-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_04S13_Lec04.pdf
The numerical result would be the same if you integrated the correct function correctly. The wavefunction can contain an arbitrary e multiplication factor, as it cancels when taking |ψ|2. By the way, the result in the book is not quite correct, as there should be √l9.

Likes weezy

Related to Finding Normalization constant

1. What is a normalization constant?

A normalization constant is a mathematical term used in statistics to scale a probability distribution so that the total area under the curve equals 1. It is usually denoted as the letter C and is used to adjust the values of a function to make it easier to work with.

2. Why is finding the normalization constant important?

Finding the normalization constant is important because it allows us to calculate the probabilities of events occurring in a given distribution. It also helps us compare different distributions and make meaningful interpretations of data.

3. How is the normalization constant calculated?

The normalization constant is calculated by dividing 1 by the integral of the function over its entire range. In simpler terms, it is the reciprocal of the area under the curve of the probability distribution.

4. What is the significance of the normalization constant in the central limit theorem?

In the central limit theorem, the normalization constant is used to standardize the distribution of sample means to create a standard normal distribution. This allows us to make inferences about the population mean based on a sample mean.

5. Can the normalization constant change?

Yes, the normalization constant can change depending on the distribution being used. It is a function of the shape and range of the distribution, so it will vary for different types of data. However, the concept of a normalization constant remains the same regardless of the specific distribution.