Finding a PDF Reader for E-Ink Displays: Updates & Suggestions

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding an e-ink reader that properly handles PDF files. Suggestions are made for the Kindle DX, Pocketbook 902 or 903, and the Sony reader. The use of calibre to update the reader is also mentioned. Overall, the search for a better e-ink PDF reader continues.
christian0710
I finally found out exactly what I'm looking for, the problem is, I can't find it anywhere.

E-ink is best for the eyes, but it seems like there are no e-ink readers that can properly handle pdf-files. Kindles seem useless for pdfs and unfortunately Apple Ipad are hard on the eyes because of the IPS panel.

Any suggestions or updates?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Pocketbook 902 or 903 can handle pdf and has quite a big screen (9"). Nevertheless, handling of the pdf's is quite slow, especially reading the pdf rotated or magnified.
So I still prefer to carry printouts of articles with me for reading.
Would be interesting to compare it with a Kindle DX in that respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your suggestions so far :) I still think i got to wait a little longer for a better e-ink pdf reader to reach the market.

Related to Finding a PDF Reader for E-Ink Displays: Updates & Suggestions

1. What are the benefits of using a PDF reader specifically designed for E-Ink displays?

Using a PDF reader designed for E-Ink displays offers several benefits, including better readability due to the non-reflective surface of E-Ink displays, longer battery life, and reduced eye strain compared to using a traditional LCD display for reading PDFs.

2. How do I know if my E-Ink display device is compatible with a PDF reader?

Most E-Ink display devices are compatible with PDF readers, but it's always best to check with the manufacturer or consult the device's specifications to confirm compatibility. Additionally, many PDF reader apps will list the devices they are compatible with in the app store.

3. Are there any free PDF readers available for E-Ink displays?

Yes, there are several free PDF reader apps available for E-Ink displays. Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat Reader, Foxit MobilePDF, and Xodo PDF Reader. It's always a good idea to read reviews and compare features before choosing a specific app.

4. Can I customize the display settings on a PDF reader for E-Ink displays?

Yes, most E-Ink display PDF readers offer customizable display settings, such as font size, font type, and background color. Some also have options for adjusting contrast, brightness, and page-turning animations.

5. Is it necessary to update my PDF reader for E-Ink displays?

Yes, it's important to regularly update your PDF reader for E-Ink displays to ensure optimal performance and to access any new features or bug fixes. It's also a good idea to check for updates whenever you encounter any issues with the app.