Find the point which lie in a 3d line.

In summary, to determine if a point lies on the same line as two other points in 3D space, you can use the formula t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f) = (x,y,z) where t is a number between 0 and 1. If such a t exists, the point lies on the line, and if t is between 0 and 1, it also lies between the two points on the line.
parch
hi

I know two points in 3d space.I know another point in the space and need to know whether that point lie in between the two points(i.e same line). can anyone give me simple algorithm other than logic.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the coordinates of your first two points are (a,b,c) and (d,e,f) then any point lying on the line going through them will be of the form

t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)

for some t. You can easily see that this is a line, and that (a,b,c) and (d,e,f) are on the line

So you simply have to find whether such a t exists for your third point

hi shredder,

I got ur answer, please check whether i am correct.

(x,y,z) is new point where need to find it is in that path.

t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)=(x,y,z)

from this i can get the t, assume my t as t(u,v,w). so these u , v and w should be inbetween 0 and 1,so that t lies in the path, ie in the line.

parch said:
hi shredder,

I got ur answer, please check whether i am correct.

(x,y,z) is new point where need to find it is in that path.

t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)=(x,y,z)

from this i can get the t, assume my t as t(u,v,w). so these u , v and w should be inbetween 0 and 1,so that t lies in the path, ie in the line.
What are "u, v, and w"?

If there exist any t at all satisfying t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)=(x,y,z), then (x,y,z) is on the line through (a,bc) and (d,e,f). If t lies between 0 and 1, then (x,y,z) is not only on that line, it lies between (a,b,c) and (d,e,f)- i.e. it is on the line segment with endpoints (a,b,c) and (d,e,f).

from this t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)=(x,y,z), the unknown t will be a vector.which i gave the as (u,v,w). could you come some more detail please..

hey thanks... got it...

parch said:
from this t(a,b,c) + (1-t)(d,e,f)=(x,y,z), the unknown t will be a vector.which i gave the as (u,v,w). could you come some more detail please..
No, t is not a vector- t is a number. If t were a vector "1- t" would make no sense.

Related to Find the point which lie in a 3d line.

1. What is a 3D line?

A 3D line is a mathematical concept that represents a straight path in three-dimensional space. It can be described by an equation or parametric equations.

2. How do you find a point on a 3D line?

To find a point on a 3D line, you need to have either an equation or parametric equations for the line. You can then substitute values for the variables in the equations to find the coordinates of the point.

3. Can there be more than one point on a 3D line?

Yes, there can be infinitely many points on a 3D line. This is because a line extends infinitely in both directions in three-dimensional space.

4. What if the point is not exactly on the 3D line?

If the point is not exactly on the 3D line, it is considered to be off the line. However, it is still possible to find the closest point on the line to the given point by using techniques such as projection.

5. How is finding a point on a 3D line useful in science?

Finding a point on a 3D line is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to model and analyze the movement of objects in three-dimensional space, and to create realistic 3D visualizations and simulations.