Find a function for this power series.

In summary, Homework Equations ask for a function that represents x^n/(n(n+1)). The Attempt at a Solution found a function that represents ln(n) + ln(1-(-n)). However, the rest of the problems on the worksheet are beyond the student.
Meatloaf4

Homework Statement

Perform a partial fractions expansion of 1/(n(n+1))=a/n + b/(n+1) in order to find a function that represents x^n/(n(n+1)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i broke up the partial fraction to 1/n -1(1+n). I integrate both to get ln(n) + ln(1-(-n)).. From there i am beyond lost

Its number six on the attached worksheet.

Attachments

• jtsocrates_25858 (1).pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you state the entire problem as given? What you've written is confusing at best.

Yea i apologize I attached a pdf with the question as its presented to me. Its number 6. If you like i can rewrite it if you don't feel like downloading the pdf.

I'm not sure what you have been asked to do, but the following properties of power series might help you anyway.

[itex] \frac{1}{1-x} = \sum x^n [/itex]

[itex] f(x) = \sum a_n x^n \Rightarrow f'(x) = \sum na_n x^{n-1} [/itex]

[itex] f(x) = \sum a_n x^n \Rightarrow \int^x f(x) = \sum \frac{a_n}{n+1} x^{n+1} + C [/itex]

I've ignored some assumptions about being within the radius of convergence and so forth.

Meatloaf4 said:
Yea i apologize I attached a pdf with the question as its presented to me. Its number 6. If you like i can rewrite it if you don't feel like downloading the pdf.
That helps. So far you found
[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
So that means
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n(n+1)} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty x^n\left(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1}\right) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{x^n}{n} - \frac{x^n}{n+1}\right) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n+1}[/tex]
Now what you need to do is find what those two sums are equal to. Upsidedowntop has given you some good hints to help you do that.

Two more comments:

You need one more property of power series to answer these questions:
[itex] f(x) = \sum a_n x^n \Rightarrow f(x)x^m = \sum a_n x^{n+m} [/itex]

I would feel bad about giving so many suggestions, except the 4 properties of power series I mentioned are properties you wouldn't be able to verify without some knowledge of sequences. ie, taking analysis. I think it's important to realize that they are not obvious, and that their proofs, though not terribly daunting, are outside the scope on an elementary calculus course.

Also, I checked the answers at the back. I agree with all of them except 3., which I think should be [itex] \frac{x(x+1)}{(1-x)^3} [/itex].

Yeah I got to the portion vela is talking about, but I am still lost from there. I'm assuming I have do something involving the power series representation of ln. The whole concept still kind of throws me for a loop. Any chance one of you could solve it for me just so I can see the steps. I literally tried for hours already, as well as looked at various things online for quite a while, i just don't get it.

Here's an example of the kind of thing you need to do. Take the series x+2x2+3x3+...+nxn+... If you pull a factor of x out, you'd get
[tex]x+2x^2+3x^3+\cdots = x(1+2x+3x^2+4x^3+\cdots)[/tex]
Why would you want to do that? It's because the terms of the series in the parentheses now look like the derivative of xn, so you can say
\begin{align*}
x+2x^2+3x^3+\cdots &= x(1+2x+3x^2+4x^3+\cdots) \\
&= x\frac{d}{dx}(x+x^2+x^3+x^4+\cdots) \\
&= x\frac{d}{dx}(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+\cdots)
\end{align*}
You should recognize the series in the parentheses as the series for 1/(1-x), so now you have
\begin{align*}
x+2x^2+3x^3+\cdots &= x\frac{d}{dx}(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+\cdots) \\
&= x\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{1-x}\right) \\
&= x\frac{1}{(1-x)^2} \\
&= \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}
\end{align*}

In your problem, you have xn/n. What does that look like it's the integral of? How about xn/(n+1)? What do you need to do to make it look like the result of an integration?

For the [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{x^n}{n}[/itex] try the following:

Let [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{x^n}{n}[/itex].

Now find the derivative of f(x).

The sum should now be a geometric series which can be evaluated.

Integrate that result to find f(x).

The other sum, [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{x^n}{n+1}[/itex] is a little more challenging but after a little playing around with it, you can get an expression with a sum similar to the one above.

Related to Find a function for this power series.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants, x is a variable, and a is a fixed value. It represents a function by expressing it as a sum of powers of x with varying coefficients.

2. How do I find a function for a given power series?

To find a function for a given power series, you can use the method of term-by-term differentiation or integration. This involves differentiating or integrating each term of the series and then summing them up. You can also use known power series expansions for common functions, such as the Maclaurin series for sine, cosine, and exponential functions.

3. What is the importance of finding a function for a power series?

Finding a function for a power series is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, differential equations, and physics. It allows us to approximate functions and solve problems that cannot be solved analytically. Power series also have applications in engineering and finance.

4. Can all functions be represented by a power series?

No, not all functions can be represented by a power series. The function must have a derivative of all orders at the center point of the series. This means that the function must be smooth and continuous, without any sharp corners or discontinuities. Additionally, some functions may require an infinite number of terms in the series to accurately represent them.

5. What are some common examples of power series?

Some common examples of power series include the geometric series, which is given by ∑n=0∞ xn, and the Maclaurin series for sine, cosine, and exponential functions. Other examples include the binomial series, Taylor series, and Laurent series. These series have various applications in different areas of mathematics and science.