Exploring the Rotational Properties of Zero and One-Dimensional Points

• Thread starter atomicgrenade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, There is a difference between a point at the center and a person looking out from the center. A zero-dimensional point does not have sides, so it would not change when rotated. This raises questions about the concept of zero-dimensional points and the possibility of a reverse-Euclid story based on constraint. This constrained point would retain a quantal spin and may not be completely zero-dimensional.
atomicgrenade
Fairly simple question I s'pose. If I've a perfect disc and I spin it about its centre, does the zero-dimensional point at its very centre actually rotate?

On the one hand, if I imagine being at the centre and looking out in one direction, if the disc rotates 180°, I would've thought that I should be facing in the opposite direction.

On the other hand, although obviously everything either side of it rotates, the central point itself has no sides, which suggests that if one were to rotate it 180° it wouldn't have changed at all, because a point would not seem (to me at least) to be facing in any particular direction. If it did rotate 180°, then this would imply its 'north face' would now be facing south and vice-versa.

Same question for a one-dimensional line going through the centre of the disc.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a point rotating? I think you have answered that question and your entire question with "it wouldn't have changed at all, because a point would not seem (to me at least) to be facing in any particular direction".

There is a difference between you being at the center and "looking out in a particular direction" and a point being at the center!

By 'me' looking out from the centre, I was imagining my perspective were I the central point itself.

The issue for a point on a line may be even worse. Can it be crossed from one side to the other? Can there be a path that hits one side and leaves from the other?

An actually zero-D could not be oriented in this fashion. But then does this challenge the idea of zero-D points?

Of course the Euclidean foundational approach was constructive. Assume the point just exists (stop worrying about it). Then adding many points (infinitely) makes a line. Etc.

But there could also be a reverse-Euclid story based on constraint. So constrain a 2D plane (infinitesimally) and it would make a line. Constrain a line and you can create a 0D point. But where things may get interesting (in a Planckian soliton sort of way) is that this point could not be completely 0D. It would retain some (infitesimal) orientation to the wider world of which it is a constrained part. A quantal spin, so to speak.

Related to Exploring the Rotational Properties of Zero and One-Dimensional Points

What is zero-dimensional rotation?

Zero-dimensional rotation is a concept used in mathematics and physics to describe the rotation of a point or object around a fixed axis. It is also known as point rotation, since there is no change in the size or shape of the point or object during the rotation.

What is one-dimensional rotation?

One-dimensional rotation refers to the rotation of an object or point around a single axis. This type of rotation is commonly seen in everyday objects such as wheels and gears, as well as in mathematical concepts like polar coordinates.

How is zero-dimensional rotation different from one-dimensional rotation?

The main difference between zero-dimensional rotation and one-dimensional rotation is the number of axes involved. Zero-dimensional rotation occurs around a fixed point with no movement along any axis, while one-dimensional rotation involves movement around a single axis.

What are some real-life examples of zero-dimensional rotation?

Some real-life examples of zero-dimensional rotation include the rotation of a spinning top, the rotation of the Earth around its axis, and the rotation of a planet around the sun.

What are some real-life examples of one-dimensional rotation?

One-dimensional rotation can be seen in the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the rotation of a car tire, and the rotation of a record on a turntable. It is also used in mathematical concepts such as the rotation of a line in the complex plane.