Exploring Curves and Torsion in 3D and 4D: A Comparison

In summary: However, in the extrinsic case where we are talking about a curve in some other manifold (like n-space), the torsion tensor will measure how the curve twists away from the tangent in the manifold itself. So it would be measuring second-order effects and would depend on the second derivatives of the connection.
TrickyDicky
In 3D the torsion  measures how rapidly the curve twists out of the osculating plane in which it finds itself momentarily trapped.
So in 4D, would torsion measure how rapidly a curve twists out of the osculating 3-hypersurface in which it finds itself momentarily trapped? Or torsion of a curve does not generalizes this way in a 4 dimensional setting?

Physics news on Phys.org
After thinking about this, I think you are exactly correct.

Think about it this way:

A tangent line is a first-order approximation to the curve, and depends on one derivative.

The curvature gives the second-order approximation that depends on the second derivative and measures how the curve bends away from its tangent.

The torsion gives the third-order approximation that depends on three derivatives and measures how the curve bends away from the plane defined by its curvature and tangent.

So in 4-space, there would be a 4th-order approximation that depends on four derivatives and measures how the curve bends away from the hyperplane defined by its tangent, curvature, and torsion.

And so on and so forth.

Ben Niehoff said:
After thinking about this, I think you are exactly correct.

Think about it this way:

A tangent line is a first-order approximation to the curve, and depends on one derivative.

The curvature gives the second-order approximation that depends on the second derivative and measures how the curve bends away from its tangent.

The torsion gives the third-order approximation that depends on three derivatives and measures how the curve bends away from the plane defined by its curvature and tangent.

Ok, this is the easy part.

Ben Niehoff said:
So in 4-space, there would be a 4th-order approximation that depends on four derivatives and measures how the curve bends away from the hyperplane defined by its tangent, curvature, and torsion.

And so on and so forth.

Does this give us two torsions, the third-order and the 4th-order approximations?
Or when talking about higher dimensional spaces only the last order is called torsion?

I think in dimensions higher than 3, they don't really have names. The Wiki article calls them "generalized curvatures" and gives them numbers. If it were me, I'd probably always call the 2nd-order one "curvature" and the 3rd-order one "torsion"...then I might call the rest "hypertorsion", I dunno.

The names don't really jibe with the words used in intrinsic differential geometry. The curvature tensor measures 2nd-order effects, but the torsion tensor actually measures 1st-order effects! I'm not sure if 3rd- and higher-order effects can be measured locally, intrinsically speaking (or else in Riemannian geometry we'd have a whole tower of curvature tensors defined using nth derivatives of the metric).

Thanks Ben, that hint about terminology helps.

In the intrinsic case of a torsion tensor in n-dimensions I think it is about how the whole tangent n-space twists around a curve in the n-manifold so it makes intuitive sense that it measures first-order effects and depends on the connection (first derivatives).

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Curves and Torsion in 3D and 4D: A Comparison

1. What is the difference between 3D and 4D curves and torsion?

The main difference between 3D and 4D curves and torsion is the number of dimensions they exist in. 3D curves and torsion exist in three-dimensional space, while 4D curves and torsion exist in four-dimensional space. This means that 4D curves and torsion have an extra dimension, which can lead to different and more complex behaviors.

2. How do you explore curves and torsion in 3D and 4D?

To explore curves and torsion in 3D and 4D, scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations. They can also physically create 3D and 4D objects and observe their behavior, or use advanced imaging techniques to visualize these structures.

3. What is torsion and how does it relate to curves in 3D and 4D?

Torsion is a measure of how much a curve or surface is twisting or rotating. In 3D and 4D, torsion is used to describe the twisting and turning of curves and surfaces in higher dimensions. It is an important concept in understanding the structure and behavior of these complex shapes.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying curves and torsion in 3D and 4D?

The study of curves and torsion in 3D and 4D has many practical applications. For example, it is used in computer graphics and animation to create more realistic and complex shapes. It is also important in physics, where it helps explain the behavior of particles and objects in higher dimensions. Additionally, it has applications in engineering, architecture, and even biology.

5. How does understanding curves and torsion in 3D and 4D contribute to our overall understanding of the universe?

Studying curves and torsion in 3D and 4D allows us to better understand the structure and behavior of our universe. These concepts play a role in theories such as string theory and brane theory, which aim to explain the fundamental nature of our universe. They also help us understand the behavior of objects and particles in higher dimensions, which can have implications for our understanding of gravity and other physical forces.