Euler angles. Quantum Mechanics Question

In summary, Euler angles are a set of three angles used to describe the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics, particularly in the rotational dynamics of particles. Euler angles allow for a simple and intuitive representation of the orientation of an object, and can be used to calculate the transformation between different coordinate systems. They have applications in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

Let

U = [itex]e^{iG_{3}\alpha}[/itex][itex]e^{iG_{2}\beta}[/itex][itex]e^{iG_{3}\gamma}[/itex]

where ( [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma [/itex] ) are the Eulerian angles. In order that U represent a rotation ( [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma [/itex] ) , what are the commutation rules satisfied by the [itex] G_{k} [/itex] ?? Relate G to the angular momentum operators.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached here the solution that i saw in my solution manual.. My question is how did he get

[itex]G_{i}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{J_{i}}{\hbar}[/itex]

I think it should be [itex]G_{i}[/itex] = [itex]{J_{i}}{\hbar}[/itex]

Can someone please help me understand that solution?? Thanks. Help much appreciated.

Attachments

• answer no. 6.jpg
    answer no. 6.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it should be one over h bar, and it is arisen from the commutation relations that result from infinitesimal rotations in 3 dimensional space. for more details please refer to advanced quantum mechanics texts as the proof is rather lengthy. i recommend reading:
http://bohr.physics.berkeley.edu/classes/221/1011/notes/spinrot.pdf
specifically page 4, equations 9 to 12.

hi there. i have been working on this problem recently, but i seem to have a slightly different answer to the one above. my working out led me to have a minus sign in the relation between G and J:

after taking the taylor expansion of the exponentials and relating the [itex]\epsilon^{2}[/itex] coefficients i got:

[itex]i^{2}G_{1}G_{2}-i^{2}G_{2}G_{1}=iG_{3}[/itex]
so that [[itex]G_{2}, G_{1}[/itex]][itex]=iG_{3}[/itex]
or [[itex]G_{1}, G_{2}[/itex]][itex] =-iG_{3}[/itex]

this gave me [[itex]G_{i}, G_{j}[/itex]][itex]=-i\epsilon_{ijk}G_{k}[/itex]

and hence i came up with the relation

[itex]G_{i}=-J_{i}/\hbar[/itex]

is this difference just some use of a different convention, or am i doing something wrong along the way??

cheers

Related to Euler angles. Quantum Mechanics Question

1. What are Euler angles and how are they used in quantum mechanics?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that are commonly used to describe the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. In quantum mechanics, they are used to represent the rotational state of a quantum system, such as the orientation of a particle's spin.

2. How do Euler angles differ from other methods of representing rotation?

Unlike other methods, such as rotation matrices or quaternions, Euler angles are based on a geometric interpretation and can be easily visualized. They also have the advantage of being uniquely defined for any given rotation, unlike other methods which may have multiple representations for the same rotation.

3. What is the Euler angle convention used in quantum mechanics?

The most commonly used Euler angle convention in quantum mechanics is the z-y-z convention, which involves rotating around the z-axis, then the y-axis, and finally the z-axis again. This convention is used to describe the orientation of a spin-1/2 particle, such as an electron.

4. How do Euler angles relate to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

Due to the uncertainty principle, it is not possible to simultaneously know the values of all three Euler angles for a quantum system. This is because the act of measuring one angle will inevitably introduce uncertainty in the other two angles, making it impossible to determine the exact orientation of the system.

5. Can Euler angles be used to describe any quantum system?

While Euler angles are commonly used in quantum mechanics, they are not suitable for describing all quantum systems. In particular, they are not applicable to systems with continuous rotational symmetries, such as a quantum harmonic oscillator. In these cases, other methods, such as spherical harmonics, are used instead.