(Electrostatics) Energy of a configuration

In summary, the poster should use the second equation provided, integrate over all space, include the Jacobian factor when performing the change of variables, and double-check their calculations and units.
LuisVela

Homework Statement

For a given configuration i found the scalar potential [tex]\phi(r)[/tex]-->(as you can see its a function only of r)
My question is about calculating the energy of the system.

Homework Equations

[tex]
W=-\dfrac{\varepsilon_0}{2}\int |\nabla \phi|^2 d^{3}x =\dfrac{1}{2}\int \phi \rho \,d^{3}x
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know if i should integrate [tex]\phi (r)[/tex] like a triple integral with limits [tex](0,\infty)x(0,2\pi)x(0,\pi)[/tex] or should i perform the inverse substitution (from sferical coordinates to cartesian ) and then integrate [tex]\phi (x,y,z)[/tex] like a triple integral with limits (-oo,oo)x(-oo,oo)x(-oo,oo)

Moreover, if i perform the change in the variables,what happen to the Jacobian of the substitution (|J|=[tex]r^2 sin(\vartheta)[/tex] )?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

your response to this forum post would be to provide guidance on how to calculate the energy of the system. You could suggest that the poster use the second equation provided, as it is specifically for calculating the energy of a system using the scalar potential. You could also clarify that the integration should be performed over all space, not just within certain limits. Additionally, you could explain that the Jacobian factor should be included in the integration when performing the change of variables. Finally, you could suggest that the poster double-check their calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

Related to (Electrostatics) Energy of a configuration

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy stored in a system of electrically charged particles. It is the energy associated with the electric field that exists between charged particles.

2. How is electrostatic energy calculated?

The electrostatic energy of a configuration is calculated by multiplying the electric potential at each point by the charge at that point and integrating over the entire system.

3. What is the unit of electrostatic energy?

The unit of electrostatic energy is joules (J) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is expressed in ergs (erg).

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the electrostatic energy?

The electrostatic energy is inversely proportional to the distance between charged particles. As the distance increases, the energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can electrostatic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, electrostatic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when charged particles are allowed to move due to the electric force between them.