Effect of negative electrostatic potential on infinite wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of an infinite straight wire carrying a current and uniformly charged to a negative electrostatic potential. The importance of the negative potential is questioned and it is determined that it may set up an electrostatic field in addition to the magnetic field. The equations used to solve the problem include the magnetic field equation and the Laplacian in cylindrical coordinates. A mistake is corrected and the correct expression for the potential is found. The conversation ends with a question about how to proceed with the new expression for the potential, assuming the wire has a finite radius.
Loonuh

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem that states the following:

Imagine an infinite straight wire carrying a current I and uniformly
charged to a negative electrostatic potential Φ

I know here that the current I will set up a magnetic field around the wire that abides to the right hand rule with magnitude in Eqn. (1).

However, what is the importance of there being a negative electrostatic potential Φ? Does this mean that the wire sets up an electrostatic ##\vec{E}## field in addition to the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

##
\begin{align}
B(r) = \frac{I\mu_0}{2\pi r} \\
\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0
\end{align}
##

The Attempt at a Solution

##
\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot \vec{E} &= 0\\
\frac{d^2 V}{dr^2} &= 0\\
\therefore V &= Cr + D\\
\end{align*}
##

At r = 0, V = ##\phi##

##
\begin{align*}
V = Cr + \phi
\end{align*}
##

At r = ##\infty##, V = 0 ...?

This can't possibly be right now and it appears I made some mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loonuh said:

Homework Statement

I am working on a problem that states the following:

Imagine an infinite straight wire carrying a current I and uniformly
charged to a negative electrostatic potential Φ

I know here that the current I will set up a magnetic field around the wire that abides to the right hand rule with magnitude in Eqn. (1).

However, what is the importance of there being a negative electrostatic potential Φ? Does this mean that the wire sets up an electrostatic ##\vec{E}## field in addition to the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

##
\begin{align}
B(r) = \frac{I\mu_0}{2\pi r} \\
\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0
\end{align}
##

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot \vec{E} &= 0\\
\frac{d^2 V}{dr^2} &= 0\\
\therefore V &= Cr + D\\
\end{align*}
That's not the correct expression for the Laplacian in cylindrical coordinates.

At r = 0, V = ##\phi##
\begin{align*}
V = Cr + \phi
\end{align*}

At r = ##\infty##, V = 0 ...?

This can't possibly be right now and it appears I made some mistake.
Are you supposed to take the wire as infinitely thin? Even after you get the proper expression for the potential, you'll run into math problems if you assume the wire doesn't have a finite radius.

Last edited:
Likes Loonuh
Wow, that was a very obvious mistake, thanks for that correction. I believe that I am free to assume that the wire is of a finite radius.

Solving now where the radial derivative term of the Laplacian is expressed as:## \nabla^2 = \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) ...##

We have
##
\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}) = 0
\end{align*}
##

Let ##y = \dot{V}##, then:

##
\begin{align*}
\dot{y} + \frac{1}{r}y &= 0\\
\frac{\dot{y}}{y} &= \frac{-1}{r}\\
\frac{dy}{y} &= \frac{-dr}{r}\\
\ln(y) &= -\ln(r) + C\\
\\
\therefore y &= Cr^{-1}\\
\dot{V} &= Cr^{-1}\\
dV &= Cr^{-1}dr\\
\\
\therefore V(r) &= C_0\ln(r) + C_1\\
\end{align*}
##

Now how do I move forward with this new expression for the potential assuming that the wire has some finite radius ##r_0##?

How to proceed from here can be found here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...al-of-infinite-wire-with-poisson-laplace-equa

Last edited:

Related to Effect of negative electrostatic potential on infinite wire?

What is the concept of negative electrostatic potential?

Negative electrostatic potential refers to the energy that is associated with negatively charged particles in an electric field. It is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space.

How does negative electrostatic potential affect an infinite wire?

Negative electrostatic potential can create an electric field around the infinite wire, which can attract positively charged particles towards it. This can cause a flow of electric current along the wire.

What is the relationship between negative electrostatic potential and electric field strength?

The electric field strength is directly proportional to the negative electrostatic potential. This means that as the potential decreases, the electric field strength also decreases.

Can negative electrostatic potential have a harmful effect on living organisms?

In general, negative electrostatic potential does not pose a direct threat to living organisms. However, extremely high voltages can cause electric shocks and burns, which can be harmful.

How can negative electrostatic potential be measured?

Negative electrostatic potential can be measured using a device called an electrostatic voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field.