Does Big Data have a place in the field of Aerodynamics?

In summary, big data is data analysis that has been rebranded by C-Level managers. It is useful for areas like bioinformatics, finance, social media, and sports. It is important to gather data carefully before analyzing it, and it should be conducted like a controlled experiment.
jonathan1987
I have been wondering lately, is the field of Data Science/Big Data used in the field of Aerodynamics? I know that Data Science has found great uses in areas like bioinformatics, finance, social media and sports. I am asking because the two fields I have grown interest in them. If you work in the aerospace industry and use big data, what is it like and how is the work environment? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Big Data" is used everywhere because it has become a buzzword that at this point is just data analysis rebranded by C-Level managers.

Data analysis is useful everywhere.

With modern instrumentation, you can capture orders of magnitude more data that one could have before. This leads to databases that would appear "monstrous" by yesterday's standards. So to justify the purchase of some really cool, whacky-fast computer equipment; marketeers gave the information a tag so that corporate level people who have no idea what this is all about can understand the purchase. They called it "Big Data."

I deal with this working in a different arena, but one that is just as capable of generating ridiculously huge steaming heaps of nearly useless-- I mean "VERY VALUABLE"-- data.

Every generation has a few wide eyed dreamers with lots more vision than common sense. They tend to infest the hallways looking for people to talk to. They'll occasionally have lunch with sales and marketeering folk. Those clever marketeers then beginning to spew nonsense because they can't tell the difference between a wide eyed nit wit and someone who actually knows what will sell.

And that's how terms like "Big Data" get born.

Let me warn you up front about gathering data from the field. There are artifacts of the measurement process. These artifacts are usually caused by having many other priorities in the operational details. The people who gather data from many disparate sources on one very narrow parameter are actually gathering a great deal of noise. They're looking for patterns to reverse engineer someone's behavior when sitting down and talking to people is often more illuminating.

Is there still value in data analysis? YES, but before you go there, you REALLY need to spend time talking to the people and getting background data on what you're gathering and where. You have to have a very good idea of what you think the data should look like before you gather it.

I can not emphasize that last statement enough. If I had a dollar for every misguided study of "Big Data" that I've had to deal with, I'd be a wealthy man. Big Data analysis should be a lot like conducting a controlled experiment. If it isn't, you're just goofing around.

Hi,
I'm also looking towards getting into Big Data and I'm working in the aerospace engineering field. Trying to get out of it and do more programming but without throwing away my background in the physical sciences. We don't do Big Data where I work, just sounds interesting, since I enjoy programming. Just thought I'd piggyback onto your forum, if that's cool...

Related to Does Big Data have a place in the field of Aerodynamics?

1. What is data science and how is it used in aerodynamics?

Data science is an interdisciplinary field that combines statistical analysis, computer science, and domain expertise to extract meaningful insights and knowledge from data. In the context of aerodynamics, data science is used to analyze large datasets of aerodynamic data to better understand and predict the behavior of aircraft and other flying objects.

2. What types of data are collected in aerodynamics and how are they used?

There are various types of data collected in aerodynamics, including wind tunnel data, flight test data, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These data are used to study the flow of air around an aircraft and identify areas for improvement in terms of aerodynamic performance, stability, and control.

3. Can data science be used to optimize aircraft design?

Yes, data science can be used to optimize aircraft design. By analyzing large datasets of aerodynamic data, data scientists can identify design parameters that have the most significant impact on aerodynamic performance. This information can then be used to optimize the design of an aircraft for better performance.

4. How does data science contribute to flight safety?

Data science plays a crucial role in flight safety by analyzing and interpreting large datasets of flight data to identify patterns and anomalies that could indicate potential safety hazards. This information can then be used to improve aircraft design, maintenance procedures, and pilot training to prevent accidents and ensure safer flights.

5. Are there any challenges in using data science for aerodynamics?

There are several challenges in using data science for aerodynamics, including the availability and quality of data, the complexity of aerodynamic systems, and the need for advanced analytical techniques and tools. Additionally, data scientists must have a strong understanding of aerodynamics and collaborate closely with domain experts to ensure accurate and meaningful analysis of the data.