Discussing the Coriolis Force & a Projectile's Missed Target

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance a projectile will miss its target by due to the effects of Coriolis force. The problem involves calculating the components of acceleration due to the force and determining the initial velocity of the projectile. The distance y is the distance from the origin of the projectile to the target. To solve the problem, the Earth's rotation must be taken into account and the projectile's motion must be treated as a parabola. The initial velocity can be found using the formula V0=sqrt(yg) and the time of flight can be found using t=2V0sin45o/g. The Coriolis force will cause a shift in the projectile's motion, and the time to hit the ground
haplo
Hi guys, there is a problem I am having hard time interpreting, so I wonder if you can share your thoughs.
Here it is.

Homework Statement

a projectile is launched due north from a point in colatitude /theta at angle pi/4 to the horizontal and aimed at target whose distance is y (small compared to Earth radius). Show that if no allowence is made for the effects of coriolis forc, the projectile will miss it's target by a distance

x=w* ((2*y^(1/3))/g)^(1/2)*(cos(theta)-1/3sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

well here is my attempt you calculate components of acceleration due to coriolis force. What confuses me, what exactly is meant by distance y. Do you treat it as vertical distance above the earth, or distance to target from launching point.
Also, how to determine the launching velocity, since it is needed for coliosis force. My initial guess is to say that velocity is zero at height y, but which height to use?

I am thinking that once components of accelerations are calculated that question is simply finding distance between two points in the plane.

So any suggestions, comments?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think y is the distance from the origin of the projectile to the target.
I havn't done problems with Earth rotation yet. But I think I understand what they want you to find. Try this:
1st forget about the Earth rotation and treat the problem as projectile motion. It will be a parabola relative to the Earth surface (assumption:it's flat). And y would be the distance across the surface of the Earth (in common problems, it's usually x :D, but anyway). Find the velocity and the time it takes for the projectile to get from it's origin to this point y. LOOK HERE

so y=V0^2/g, so V0(initial velocity)=sqrt(yg) (and t=2V0sin45o/g total timeof the flight)

Now you need to consider that force, and find the shift (to just normal motion plane in 2D, it can be perpendicular to this plane or at an angle, depends on the force). I'm not familiar with this force, so I'm guessing it's perpendicular and F=ma, a=F/m. V0z=0 (initial velocity in the direction of the force). xz=at^2/2, you know the time to hit the ground from the first part.

(if the force is not perpendicular u'll get one more component of the velocity)

Last edited:

Related to Discussing the Coriolis Force & a Projectile's Missed Target

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in motion due to the rotation of the Earth. It is caused by the Earth's rotation and the curvature of its surface, and it deflects the path of an object to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect a projectile's trajectory?

The Coriolis force affects a projectile's trajectory by causing it to deviate from its intended path. In the Northern Hemisphere, the projectile will be deflected to the right, and in the Southern Hemisphere, it will be deflected to the left. This is because the Earth's rotation is faster at the equator than at the poles, so the Coriolis force is stronger at the poles.

3. Can the Coriolis force cause a projectile to miss its intended target?

Yes, the Coriolis force can cause a projectile to miss its intended target. This is especially noticeable for long-range projectiles, such as missiles, which can be affected by the Coriolis force over large distances. Even a small deviation caused by the Coriolis force can result in a significant miss of the target.

4. How can the Coriolis force be accounted for when aiming a projectile?

The Coriolis force can be accounted for by taking into consideration the rotation of the Earth and the latitude of the projectile's launch site. This information can be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the Coriolis force and adjust the aiming of the projectile accordingly. In some cases, advanced computer simulations may be used to account for the Coriolis force.

5. Is the Coriolis force the only factor that can cause a projectile to miss its target?

No, the Coriolis force is not the only factor that can cause a projectile to miss its target. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and human error can also affect a projectile's trajectory and cause it to miss its intended target. However, the Coriolis force is an important factor to consider, especially for long-range projectiles.