Discrete Geometry: Info, Knowledge & More

In summary, the conversation discussed the subject of Discrete Geometry, its main focus on convex polytopes and the knowledge required to understand it. It was mentioned that basic linear algebra and analysis are necessary, but not in the most abstract setting. The book "Convex Polytopes" by Branko Grunbaum was recommended as a good resource. The conversation also touched on the various topics covered in the subject, including graph theory, linear programming, and hyperplane arrangements. It was also noted that Discrete Geometry is related to theoretical computer science, particularly in the areas of optimization and linear programming. Some suggestions for additional resources such as books, websites, and links were also requested.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello!
Can you give me information about the subject Discrete Geometry?
What is it about? What knowledge is required? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello!
Can you give me information about the subject Discrete Geometry?
What is it about? What knowledge is required? (Thinking)
To me discrete geometry means the subject of convex polytopes. Addtionally, one may want to read about properties of convex sets in general to gain a better understanding of polytopes but this I wouldn't count as discrete geometry per se.

As for the background, I think basic linear algebra and analysis would suffice. Some basic things about interior, closure, boundary of a topological space, compactness, closedness etc are needed. But I should mention that one does not need to know about these in the most abstract setting. In fact the topological notions are very intuitive in the setting of polytopes and convex sets so I would say that even this is not necessary.

As for books, check out Branko Grunbaum's Convex Polytopes.

Now I found that the following stuff will be done:

• Introduction in convex polytopes: examples of polytopes in different fields of mathematics, partial ordering of the sides, polarity, $f$- and $h$-vector, shellings, the theorem of upper bound of McMullen
  • Graph of a polytope, Steinitz theorem, diameter of a graph and Hirsch conjecture
  • Polytopes in problems of linear programming and optimization (Simplex method)
  • Minkowski sum of polytopes, hyperplane arrangements , characteristic polynomial, Zaslavsky theorem
  • Gale diagrams
  • Rational polytopes, enumeration of integer points of a (rational) polytope, theorem of Ehrhart
  • Polyhedral subdivisions and fiber polytopes
  • Applications in [m] polymake [/m] and [m] Sagemath [/m].

Is the subject somehow related to theoretical computer science?

Last edited:
evinda said:
Now I found that the following stuff will be done:

• Introduction in convex polytopes: examples of polytopes in different fields of mathematics, partial ordering of the sides, polarity, $f$- and $h$-vector, shellings, the theorem of upper bound of McMullen
  • Graph of a polytope, Steinitz theorem, diameter of a graph and Hirsch conjecture
  • Polytopes in problems of linear programming and optimization (Simplex method)
  • Minkowski sum of polytopes, hyperplane arrangements , characteristic polynomial, Zaslavsky theorem
  • Gale diagrams
  • Rational polytopes, enumeration of integer points of a (rational) polytope, theorem of Ehrhart
  • Polyhedral subdivisions and fiber polytopes
  • Applications in [m] polymake [/m] and [m] Sagemath [/m].

Is the subject somehow related to theoretical computer science?
Yes. This subject is related to convex and combinatorial optimization and linear programming which are studies by theoretical computer scientists.

Can anyone suggest some good books for discrete geometry for beginners? Or any useful websites or links.

Related to Discrete Geometry: Info, Knowledge & More

1. What is discrete geometry?

Discrete geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric properties and structures that are considered “discrete,” meaning they have a finite or countable number of elements. It involves the use of combinatorics, graph theory, and other discrete mathematical tools to study geometric shapes and their properties.

2. What are some real-world applications of discrete geometry?

Discrete geometry has numerous practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in computer graphics and animation, pattern recognition, image processing, and computer vision. It also plays a role in designing efficient networks, coding theory, and molecular structure analysis.

3. How does discrete geometry differ from continuous geometry?

Discrete geometry deals with geometric structures that are made up of distinct, separate elements, while continuous geometry deals with smooth, continuous geometric objects. In other words, discrete geometry focuses on finite or countable sets of points, lines, and shapes, while continuous geometry deals with infinite sets and smooth curves and surfaces.

4. What is the importance of discrete geometry in data analysis and data science?

Discrete geometry plays a crucial role in data analysis and data science by providing tools and methods for representing and analyzing data sets with complex geometric structures. It enables the visualization and manipulation of high-dimensional data, which is essential for understanding patterns and relationships in large datasets.

5. Are there any open problems or unsolved questions in discrete geometry?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions in discrete geometry, particularly in the areas of combinatorial geometry, discrete differential geometry, and geometric graph theory. These include questions about the existence and properties of certain geometric structures, as well as questions about the complexity and efficiency of algorithms for solving geometric problems.