Difference between isomorphism and equality in graph theory?

In summary, equality means that two mathematical structures are the same, isomorphism means that two graphs are the same, and adjacency relation is preserved by a function.
mitcho
As the title suggest, I do not understand what the difference between isomorphism and equality is in terms of graph theory. I have tried searching the internet but the few definitions I could find for each did not really shed light on the difference. I know that an isomorphism is when there is a bijection between the two edge sets but I thought that is how set equality was defined also? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I do apologize if this is in the wrong section, perhaps it should have been in the set theory section...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In any area of mathematics, "Equality" of, say, A and B, means that A and B are just names for the same thing. If two graphs are "equal" then they are really the same graph.

Saying that two mathematical structures are "isomorphic" means that all properties, that are defined for such structures, are the same. If I have, say, a graph, called "[itex]\alpha[/itex]", with two vertices, A and B, and the single edge beween A and B, and a graph, called "[itex]\beta[/itex]", with two vertices, X and Y, and the single edge between them, then those two graphs, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex], are isomorphic, [itex]\alpha~ \beta[/itex], because the mapping A->X and B->Y also maps the single edge to the single edge. But they are not "equal" because they have different vertices- they are not the same graph.

If, rather, I call the graph with vertices A and B and the single vertex [itex]\alpha[/itex] and then rename that same graph [itex]\beta[/itex], I can say [itex]\alpha= \beta[/itex] because "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" and "[itex]\beta[/itex]" are different names for the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the only thing you need for isomorphism of two graphs G,G', other than their both having the same number of vertices and edges (in each connected component of the graph), is that the adjacency relation between the two is preserved by a function, i.e., if vertex vi is adjacent to vertex vj , then f should have f(vi) adjacent to f(vj). This last gives you some leeway. Easiest thing I can think of is , take a graph with 6 edges , and adjacency relation (vi,v_(i+1)) , i.e., v1 is adjacent to v2, which is adjacent to v3, etc. Now , rename the vertices by:

G G'
v1<-->v6 ,
v2<-->v5 ,
v3<-->v4,
v4<-->v3,
v5<-->v2,
v6<-->v1

So now you see that, the adjacent pair (v1,v2) is sent to the adjacent pair (v5,v6) in G';
and adjacency is preserved by f.

Related to Difference between isomorphism and equality in graph theory?

1. What is the difference between isomorphism and equality in graph theory?

Isomorphism and equality are two concepts commonly used in graph theory to compare and analyze graphs. Isomorphism refers to two graphs that have the same structural properties, meaning that they have the same number of vertices and edges, and the connections between them are preserved. On the other hand, equality in graph theory means that two graphs are identical, with the same number of vertices and edges, and the exact same connections between them.

2. Can two graphs be isomorphic but not equal?

Yes, two graphs can be isomorphic but not equal. Isomorphism only considers the structural properties of the graphs, while equality takes into account the exact connections between the vertices. This means that two graphs can have the same number of vertices and edges, but different connections, making them isomorphic but not equal.

3. How can isomorphism and equality be determined in graph theory?

In graph theory, isomorphism and equality can be determined through various methods, such as visual inspection, graph algorithms, and mathematical proofs. Visual inspection involves comparing the graphs and checking if they have the same number of vertices and edges, and if the connections between them are preserved. Graph algorithms, such as the Graph Isomorphism Algorithm, can also be used to determine isomorphism and equality. Finally, mathematical proofs can be used to formally show that two graphs are isomorphic or equal.

4. What is the significance of isomorphism and equality in graph theory?

Isomorphism and equality are significant in graph theory as they allow us to compare and analyze different graphs, which can help us better understand their properties and relationships. Isomorphism, in particular, is useful in identifying patterns and symmetries in graphs, while equality helps us distinguish between different graphs that may appear similar at first glance.

5. Can isomorphism and equality be applied to directed graphs?

Yes, isomorphism and equality can be applied to directed graphs as well as undirected graphs. In directed graphs, the connections between vertices have a specific direction, but the same principles of isomorphism and equality apply. The number of vertices and edges, as well as the connections between them, must be preserved for graphs to be considered isomorphic or equal.