Design of nonlinear spring from load deflection graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding a software to design a non-linear extension spring. The person suggests using noorExcel, ANSYS, or Solidworks simulation. Another person mentions that variable rate springs are readily available and suggests using two springs in series or redesigning to eliminate the need for a progressive rate spring. The original person clarifies that they need to design a single spring with small weight and dimension based on a graph they have made. They ask for more information on the design methodology, and the other person recommends consulting mechanical engineering design books or using spring design software.
jinnkraft
Hi

Could anybody guide me to a software that can be used to design a non linear spring from load deflection characteristics. need it for both extension and compression spring.

thanks
noor

Engineering news on Phys.org
Excel? ANSYS? Solidworks simulation?
Variable rate springs are an OTS (off the shelf) item, or u can stack two (or more) springs in series. Or a redesign could remove the need for a progressive rate spring altogether. Could you be more specific? A diagram perhaps? Generally, you'd avoid needing custom designs of basic components (nuts, bolts, springs, washers etc)

Thanks for your reply
I need to design a nonlinear extension spring. I've readied a graph based on my design criteria.

upload_2016-8-26_21-10-21.png

Based on this graph, i want to design the extension spring.
please provide more insight on design methodology
Moreover i must use a single spring of small weight and dimension.

thanks
noor

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-26_21-4-40.png
    upload_2016-8-26_21-4-40.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 516
Your graph looks like it could be well approximated with just two spring rates, so a dual pitch spring, or maybe a Belleville spring stack.
Most/all mechanical engineering design books will have a chapter on springs, I'd recommend Shigleys Mechanical Engineering Design (it has many references to more detailed resources)
Off course, google has many resources too, including manufacturers with spring design software that can do the design for you...

Related to Design of nonlinear spring from load deflection graph

1. What is a load deflection graph?

A load deflection graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the applied load and the resulting deflection of a spring. It is used to understand the behavior of a spring under different loads and to determine its stiffness.

2. Why is the design of a nonlinear spring important?

The design of a nonlinear spring is important because it allows for a more accurate and efficient use of the spring in various applications. Nonlinear springs have a varying stiffness, allowing them to handle different loads and deflections more effectively than linear springs.

3. How is a nonlinear spring designed from a load deflection graph?

To design a nonlinear spring from a load deflection graph, the designer must first analyze the graph to determine the stiffness of the spring at different points. This can be done by calculating the slope of the graph at various deflection points. The designer can then use this information to select the appropriate material and dimensions for the spring to achieve the desired stiffness and deflection characteristics.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a nonlinear spring?

When designing a nonlinear spring, the following factors should be considered: the desired stiffness and deflection characteristics, the material properties of the spring, the maximum load the spring will be subjected to, and the available space for the spring's installation.

5. What are some common applications of nonlinear springs?

Nonlinear springs are commonly used in various engineering and industrial applications, such as suspension systems in vehicles, shock absorbers, and mechanical seals. They can also be found in everyday objects, such as mattresses and exercise equipment, where their varying stiffness allows for better comfort and support.