Deriving Lemniscate Locus Equation: Is It a Typo?

• Thread starter ronaldor9
  • Start date
In summary, the lemniscate is a locus for which the product of the distances r1 and r2, with the coordinates x=a and x=-1 and y=0, is constant at a^2. There seems to be a typo in the equation, as deriving it in polar coordinates yields a different result when the locus is defined as r1 x r2 = a2 compared to r1 x r2 = a. This has been corrected.
ronaldor9
Hello from the book I am reading it defines the lemniscate as the locus for which the product of the distances r1 and r2 with the coordinates x= a and x= -1 and y= 0 has the constant value of a2.

I went about deriving the equation in polar coordinates from this locus, however I do not get the correct equation when the locus is defines as r1 x r2 = a2 but when r1 x r2 = a the correct equation is arrived at.

Is this simply a typo on behalf of the author?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ronaldor9! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
ronaldor9 said:
… however I do not get the correct equation when the locus is defines as r_1 x r_2 = a^2 but when r_1 x r_2 = a^2 the correct equation is arrived at.

erm :redface:what's the difference? :confused:

I went about deriving the equation in polar coordinates from this locus, however I do not get the correct equation when the locus is defines as r1 x r2 = a2 but when r1 x r2 = a the correct equation is arrived at.

FIXED thanks!

Related to Deriving Lemniscate Locus Equation: Is It a Typo?

1. What is a lemniscate locus equation?

A lemniscate locus equation is a mathematical equation that describes the shape of a lemniscate, which is a figure-eight shaped curve. It is also known as the "symbol of infinity" because it has no beginning or end.

2. How is a lemniscate locus equation derived?

A lemniscate locus equation can be derived using a variety of mathematical methods, such as using parametric equations, polar coordinates, or algebraic equations. The specific method used will depend on the type of lemniscate being described.

3. Is the lemniscate locus equation a typo?

No, the lemniscate locus equation is not a typo. It is a well-defined mathematical equation that has been studied and used for centuries. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

4. What are some real-life applications of the lemniscate locus equation?

The lemniscate locus equation has many practical applications, including describing the motion of a pendulum, modeling the path of a planet around the sun, and creating designs for bridges and buildings. It is also used in optics, electronics, and other areas of physics and engineering.

5. Are there any variations of the lemniscate locus equation?

Yes, there are many variations of the lemniscate locus equation, depending on the specific parameters and constraints used. Some common variations include the Lemniscate of Bernoulli, Lemniscate of Gerono, and Lemniscate of Booth.