Deciphering Confusing Differential Operator Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving the definition of operator L[x] and the Bessel equation of zero order. The first problem asks for proof that the derivative of L[x] with respect to lambda is equal to L[partial x/ partial lambda]. The second problem involves using the Frobenius Method to solve the Bessel equation for every lambda value. The student expresses confusion and frustration with the unclear instructions and unfamiliar formula used in the problem.
ELESSAR TELKONT
I have two problems and I don't know what they want to tell. Please tell me what do you think

1. We define operator [tex]L[x]=a(t)\ddot{x}+b(t)\dot{x}+c(t)x[/tex] in [tex]C^{2}(I)[/tex] function space. Proof that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\lambda}L[x]=L\left[\frac{\partial x}{\partial\lambda}\right][/tex]. ¿What do you think the lambda is for? I don't understand! We haven't done anything like that in the course.

2.Bessel equation of zero order. Use the Frobenius Method to show that [tex]L[x]=a_{0}\lambda^{2}t^{\lambda}[/tex], with the supposition that the coefficient of [tex]t^{n+\lambda}[/tex] for [tex]n\geq 1[/tex] vanishes and that the root of the indical polinomial is of multiplicity 2, and show that [tex]L\left[\frac{\partial x}{\partial\lambda}\right]=2a_{0}\lambda t^{\lambda}+a_{0}\lambda^{2}t^{\lambda}\ln t[/tex]. ¿What do you think the lambda is for? I have searched in books and internet and I never saw that the Bessel equation of zero order have the form that this problem makes use.

Please help me to decipher what the hell teacher's assistant was thinking when he wrote the homework. It's urgent.

Physics news on Phys.org
ELESSAR TELKONT said:
I have two problems and I don't know what they want to tell. Please tell me what do you think

1. We define operator [tex]L[x]=a(t)\ddot{x}+b(t)\dot{x}+c(t)x[/tex] in [tex]C^{2}(I)[/tex] function space. Proof that [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\lambda}L[x]=L\left[\frac{\partial x}{\partial\lambda}\right][/tex]. ¿What do you think the lambda is for? I don't understand! We haven't done anything like that in the course.
You have every right to ask! I suspect the "[itex]\lambda[/itex]" was supposed to be "t" since the coefficients in L depend on t. Or the other way around. In any case, the differentiation is with respect to the parameter.

2.Bessel equation of zero order. Use the Frobenius Method to show that [tex]L[x]=a_{0}\lambda^{2}t^{\lambda}[/tex], with the supposition that the coefficient of [tex]t^{n+\lambda}[/tex] for [tex]n\geq 1[/tex] vanishes and that the root of the indical polinomial is of multiplicity 2, and show that [tex]L\left[\frac{\partial x}{\partial\lambda}\right]=2a_{0}\lambda t^{\lambda}+a_{0}\lambda^{2}t^{\lambda}\ln t[/tex]. ¿What do you think the lambda is for? I have searched in books and internet and I never saw that the Bessel equation of zero order have the form that this problem makes use.
Here, it is clear. The parameter [itex]\lambda[\itex] appears in the formula itself. As far as that being "Bessel's equation", it really doesn't matter. Just use Frobenious' method to solve that differential equation for every [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Please help me to decipher what the hell teacher's assistant was thinking when he wrote the homework. It's urgent.[/QUOTE]

Related to Deciphering Confusing Differential Operator Problems

What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical symbol that represents a differentiation operation. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables.

How do differential operators help in scientific research?

Differential operators are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, to model and solve complex problems involving rates of change. They help scientists to analyze and understand natural phenomena, make predictions, and develop new theories and technologies.

What are some common types of differential operators?

Some common types of differential operators include the derivative operator, gradient operator, curl operator, and Laplace operator. Each of these operators has specific properties and uses in different areas of science.

What are the applications of differential operators in real life?

Differential operators have numerous real-life applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing fluid flow. They are also used in medical imaging, financial modeling, and many other fields.

What is the difference between a differential operator and an integral operator?

A differential operator is used to calculate the rate of change of a function, while an integral operator is used to find the area under a curve. In other words, a differential operator is the inverse operation of an integral operator.