Curved beam stress calculation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stress in a curved beam and comparing it with an FEA model. The formula used is Stress = (M*(r-rn))/(Aer), with a result of 9.5 MPa. However, the FEA result shows over 500 MPa, causing confusion for the individuals involved. They have checked their calculations and repeated the FEA process, but the large disagreement between the two results remains. They are seeking help to understand the reason for this discrepancy.
Aerstz

Homework Statement

Calculate stress in a curved beam and compare with FEA model.

Homework Equations

Stress = (M*(r-rn))/(Aer)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above formula, which is repeated in many textbooks and reputable engineering websites, to calculate stress in a curved beam. My result was 9.5 MPa, but the FEA result was over 500 MPa (see attached image).

I've checked my calculations and I'm convinced I haven't made a mistake. I really do not know why there is such a large disagreement between my calculations and the FEA result. I have repeated the FEA process several times and in different ways but the disagreement is constant.

If anyone knows what is going wrong here please tell me!

Attachments

• curved beam.jpg
    curved beam.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 732
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Aertsz

I have a same problem with you.İn Curved Beams there is something I can not achieve.My Hand Calculation is 12 MPA My Ansys result is 400 MPA.If you found the reason or solution please share me?

My email: tehc21@gmail.com

This is an old thread . Best to start a fresh one .

Please post full information about the problem in the new thread and show us your attempt at calculations .

nb : Showing Email addresses openly on forum is not advisable . Delete yours asap .

Related to Curved beam stress calculation problem

1. What is a curved beam stress calculation problem?

A curved beam stress calculation problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the stress and strain on a beam with a curved shape. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the structural integrity of curved beams.

2. How do you calculate the stress on a curved beam?

The stress on a curved beam can be calculated using the formula σ = M*c/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber of the beam, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam.

3. What factors can affect the stress on a curved beam?

The stress on a curved beam can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the beam, the material properties, the applied load, and the boundary conditions. Other factors like temperature changes and structural imperfections can also impact the stress on the beam.

4. How is a curved beam stress calculation problem solved?

A curved beam stress calculation problem is typically solved using mathematical methods such as the moment-area method, the strain energy method, or the stress transformation method. These methods involve breaking down the curved beam into smaller sections and using equations to calculate the stress on each section.

5. What are some applications of curved beam stress calculations?

Curved beam stress calculations are commonly used in structural engineering for the design and analysis of bridges, arches, and other curved structures. They are also important in the aerospace industry for designing and testing aircraft wings and other curved components. Additionally, curved beam stress calculations are used in medical devices, such as orthopedic implants, to ensure their structural integrity under different loading conditions.