Creation operator and eigenvalues

In summary, the homework statement states that the creation operator a_+ has no eigenvalues. However, the attempt at a solution provides a way to transform oscillator eigenkets into eigenkets for an oscillator with more energy.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Prove that the creation operator [itex]a_+ [/itex] has no eigenvalues, for instance in the [itex]\vert n \rangle [/itex].

Homework Equations

Action of [itex]a_+ [/itex] in a harmonic oscillator eigenket [itex]\vert n \rangle [/itex]:
[itex] a_+\vert n \rangle =\vert n +1\rangle [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calling a the eigenvalues of [itex]a_+ [/itex]
[itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = a \vert \Psi \rangle = a \sum c_n \vert n \rangle = \sum a c_n \vert n \rangle[/itex]
[itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = a_+ \sum c_n \vert n \rangle = \sum c_n a_+ \vert n \rangle = \sum c_n\vert n+1\rangle = \sum c_{n-1}\vert n\rangle[/itex]

Equating both
[itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = \sum a c_n \vert n \rangle= \sum c_{n-1}\vert n\rangle[/itex]

We have
[itex]a c_n = c_{n-1}[/itex].

I think I can take the a factor out and then claim that eigenkets have to be linearly dependent, so their coefficients cannot be proportional to each other.

However, I am not sure that this does prove that the creation operatro has no eigenvalues.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
##a=1=c_n=c_{n-1}=...## is a solution of the equations for the coefficients. What happens when ##a_+## is applied on ##|\Psi>=|n>+|n-1>+...+|n-m>##?

bloby said:
Hi,
##a=1=c_n=c_{n-1}=...## is a solution of the equations for the coefficients. What happens when ##a_+## is applied on ##|\Psi>=|n>+|n-1>+...+|n-m>##?

We get ##a_+|\Psi\rangle=|n+1>+|n\rangle+...+|n-m+1\rangle##. If the set of eigenvalues for the oscilator Hamiltonian is infinite (and it is, right?) the sum remains the same except for ##\vert 0 \rangle##, which becomes ##\vert 1 \rangle ##. Since this is the new ground state we have transformed the oscillator eigenkets into eigenkets for an oscillator with ##\hbar \omega ## more energy. Is that so?

What now? I don't know what do you mean.

carllacan said:
(and it is, right?)

Yes but you are more interested in eigenvector to express ##|\Psi>##.

carllacan said:
##a_+|\Psi\rangle=|n+1>+|n\rangle+...+|n-m+1\rangle##

Yes and what is ##a|\Psi>## with a=1 in the basis ##\{|i>\}##?

carllacan said:
If the set of eigenvalues for the oscilator Hamiltonian is infinite (and it is, right?) the sum remains the same except for ##\vert 0 \rangle##, which becomes ##\vert 1 \rangle ##. Since this is the new ground state we have transformed the oscillator eigenkets into eigenkets for an oscillator with ##\hbar \omega ## more energy. Is that so?

No, it's just some algebra to show that there is no vector ##|\Psi>## such that ##a_+|\Psi>=a|\Psi>##. The example with a=1 is just a simple example to see what happens.

If you add the bounds to the sums in your attempt at a solution you will see that there is a problem.

Likes 1 person
bloby said:
If you add the bounds to the sums in your attempt at a solution you will see that there is a problem.

What do you mean with the bounds?

Sorry for the delay. I will try another way: you expended ##|\Psi>## on the basis ##\{|n>:n=0,1,...\}##. On one hand you multiplied it by a and you obtained ##a|\Psi>## on that basis. On the other hand you applied ##a_+## on it and you obtained ##a_+|\Psi>## on the same basis ##\{|n>:n=0,1,...\}##. For the two vectors obtained to be equal the coefficients must be equal for all basis vectors. Your result ##a c_n=c_{n-1}## cannot hold for all n, do you see why?

Likes 1 person
Try writing out the first few terms of each summation.

bloby said:
Sorry for the delay.
Wow, why do you apologyze? You're helping me! I really appreciate it, no matter how long does it take.
bloby said:
Your result ##a c_n=c_{n-1}## cannot hold for all n, do you see why?

I've just realized that ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}\vert n \rangle = \sqrt{n} \vert n \rangle ##, so my recursion formula should've been ## c_n a = c_{n-1} \sqrt{n} ##.

Anyway, I don't see what's the deal with it. Is it with the ground state? It is 0 in one expansion and ##c_0 a ## in the other one.

Exactly. And they have to be the same, so...?

bloby said:
Exactly. And they have to be the same, so...?

So ##c_0## is zero and so are all others. Thank you!

Some clean up is needed(what if a=0? what if ##c_0##,...,##c_i##=0?) but you get it.

Related to Creation operator and eigenvalues

What is a creation operator?

A creation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation of a particle in a specific quantum state. It is denoted by a^+ and acts on the quantum state to produce a new state with one additional particle.

What are eigenvalues in the context of creation operators?

Eigenvalues in the context of creation operators refer to the possible outcomes of measuring the operator on a particular quantum state. They represent the energy levels or quantized values of the particle being created.

How is the creation operator related to the annihilation operator?

The creation and annihilation operators are related as a^+a is equal to the number operator, which measures the number of particles in a given state. The annihilation operator, a, acts as the inverse of the creation operator, removing a particle from the state.

What is the commutator of two creation operators?

The commutator of two creation operators, [a^+, a^+], is equal to zero. This means that the creation of two particles in a particular state is independent of the order in which the operators are applied.

How do creation operators and eigenvalues relate to the creation of particles in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, creation operators are used to describe the creation of particles in a quantum field. The eigenvalues of the creation operator represent the possible energies of the particles, and the creation of particles is described as an excitation of the quantum field at a specific energy level.