Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
Cover of Shania Twain.

Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
This is not very good, it is out of her range, her tone is weird in places (probably due to the range) and the guitar solo is awful. Did he not learn vibrato? Could he have not changed to a strat for this?
You need the harmony too and she cuts it short.
However, she is doing Comfortably numb! For her! Why for her? Because she likes good music???
She has not messed with the key, how low does she go!? Sure it affects her tone but she is still doing it. Live.

This is my second MC, the first being Jolene.

Likes Hornbein
From one of the best musicals ever this arrangement is played by one of the greatest drummers ever.

It's live too which is....cool.

Likes Hornbein
These guys wrote it. The is OGWT and are usually live so I assumed it was.

I like this version too.

pinball1970 said:
This is not very good, it is out of her range, her tone is weird in places (probably due to the range) and the guitar solo is awful. Did he not learn vibrato? Could he have not changed to a strat for this?
You need the harmony too and she cuts it short.
However, she is doing Comfortably numb! For her! Why for her? Because she likes good music???
She has not messed with the key, how low does she go!? Sure it affects her tone but she is still doing it. Live.

This is my second MC, the first being Jolene.

I like Miley's rock singing. People forget that rock is supposed to break all the rules. Key is that your parents can't stand it.

It helps that the Cyrus team can afford the best touring musicians.

pinball1970 said:
From one of the best musicals ever this arrangement is played by one of the greatest drummers ever.

It's live too which is....cool.

Very swinging. Combos are a cheap substitute for big bands. Tokyo has really good ones.

Alice Cooper used to play a little of this tune. They had an album entitled Easy Action (a line from West Side Story. One of the characters is named Action and they're telling him to cool it.)

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
These guys wrote it. The is OGWT and are usually live so I assumed it was.

I like this version too.

Never heard this tune before. I like the Kiss version. It sounds a lot like Queen.

I recall an interview with a man who was offered the choice of producing Boston's first album or one by Kiss. He saw little room for improvement with Boston so he went for Kiss, where he felt needed.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
The Philippines' Charice Pempengco. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion both think she's great.

Charice has since had trans surgery, even on her vocal chords.

Hornbein said:
Never heard this tune before. I like the Kiss version. It sounds a lot like Queen.

I recall an interview with a man who was offered the choice of producing Boston's first album or one by Kiss. He saw little room for improvement with Boston so he went for Kiss, where he felt needed.
Argent did "Hold your head up." Rick Wakeman described the organ solo as the best he had ever heard.
Rod Argent was previously with the Zombies, "She's not there" a great track.

This one

Hornbein said:
The Philippines' Charice Pempengco. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion both think she's great.

Charice has since had trans surgery, even on her vocal chords.

Charice can obviously sing but I simply detest this style. The song is already amazing, the tune immense and the words beautiful.
Eric Carmen used that little part from Rachmaninoff to link to the chorus, brilliant.
Maria Carey destroyed "I'll be there," and I hated Celine Dion version of this too.
I just cannot take all the extra ornaments, imagine them singing yesterday? 12 extra notes per bar? Not for me. It would be like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. It is already dood enough.

Well whaddya know. Sisters, they've been making music together their whole lives. It shows.

Love that harmony but the steel solo is way subpar. Give Megan another chance with her best Dickie Betts.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Well that's a weird tune.

Hornbein said:
Well whaddya know. Sisters, they've been making music together their whole lives. It shows.

Love that harmony but the steel solo is way subpar. Give Megan another chance with her best Dickie Betts.

No!!!!

Hornbein said:

WHY, are they replicating that version? Lori? Roberta?

Didn't know these guys. I like it though

This is great. The drummer looks awkward but has a good sound. Overall sound is just awesome and look at them?
Time machine? 1966 I think, catch the Beatles, Hendrix, The Who, Yes and work my way through to 1972 when Gillan left Purple. Time to come home then.

This has dozens of hit songs I didn't know were covers. How did he figure all this out?

Hornbein said:

This has dozens of hit songs I didn't know were covers. How did he figure all this out?

I knew some but not all.

Alone was NOT Heart!

Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Likes BWV and pinball1970

Teach Your Children

Senri Kawaguchi plays Herbie Hancock's Actual Proof (which was based on Tower of Power's Oakland Stroke) live in Montreal. I'd like to know more about that keyboard player.

Likes BWV and pinball1970
23.24 she drops a stick with her left switches right to left then picks up with her right out of her spares. Close your eyes you cannot tell.

Likes jack action
Hornbein said:

Senri Kawaguchi plays Herbie Hancock's Actual Proof (which was based on Tower of Power's Oakland Stroke) live in Montreal. I'd like to know more about that keyboard player.

Some lovely runs 23.30.

Hornbein said:

Teach Your Children

Not keen on country slide. I like Pink Floyd slide, just not country.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Special girl there. Saw some of her arrangements a few years ago. Brilliant.

Yep she is great reminds of Walter.

Last edited:
A nod to Astrid. Walter does this justice.

• Wow
Likes mathwonk and Hornbein
pinball1970 said:
Special girl there. Saw some of her arrangements a few years ago. Brilliant.
Her cover of Losing My Religion is great:

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Ibix said:
Her cover of Losing My Religion is great:

Fantastic.
See how uses her nails on her right hand to create that percussive rythym as a regular chop? Whilst picking chords, tune and bass?
Great technique.

Likes Ibix
Cool cover of Fela's Colonial Mentality

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Fantastic.
See how uses her nails on her right hand to create that percussive rythym as a regular chop? Whilst picking chords, tune and bass?
Great technique.
Yeah. REM is a four-man outfit and she's doing the work of three of them. Never mind automation, she needs to be banned before she puts everyone else out of a job. 😁

Likes pinball1970
I hated this. It has one of those totally unnecessary key changes at the end.