Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
A two-man band. That guy has the Robert Plant-style hyper nature. I believe he's German.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
The images she sings of appear in my mind's eye. It's like magic.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Walters girl. Not an easy tune for a kid, a lot of the phrases end on the maj 7th.
Be interesting to see what happens as her voice matures.
I love the high five with dad at the end.

Likes pinball1970
Sometimes a true artist can make even a crappy song sound good:

Ene without a young Toni Wine.

Likes pinball1970 and Hornbein
There's a reason Emmylou Harris is famous. Singing The Beatle's Here There and Everywhere.

Emmylou broke into country music as a proud hippy but didn't keep that image for long.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
The REO Brothers do The Beach Boys

That bass player needs to work on his posture though. You can't get any power singing like that.

Likes pinball1970

pinball1970 said:

Ha, I already posted that one.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Ha, I already posted that one.
Oh no! I think said I would ask for the thread to be closed if I did that!

Lexington Lab Band covers Travis Tritt.

I thought their vocal lacked pizazz so called up Travis to give 'em some hep. His phrasing is unorthodox. But good.

Likes pinball1970

Likes Hornbein and pinball1970
morrobay said:

The guitar soloist is the star for me.

Likes pinball1970
In a Silent Way trip hop remix

Likes pinball1970
Yoyoka -- Summertime Blues

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
And now for something completely different ...

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
And now for something completely different ...

I was a small boy in Germany. I can still sing some of the comic songs of 1963, which were oompah stuff pretty similar to this. At the time film and TV was black and white so this was nostalgia for me. It's a lot like the movie The Man Who Could Walk Through Walls,.

Here's the orig (which I knew nothing about).

Dance is a lot more important in eastern Asia than in the West. In the Bali religion dance is at least as important as singing. Japan has great dance, so much so that they are exporting ballerinas to Europe. Tokyo has dozens of dance schools. Ballet, hiphop, tango, hula, and more. Dance groups are among the biggest stars. South Korean pop is all about dance (and clothes and makeup), the music is secondary. This has caught on in China. All in all east Asians have an ability for synchronized movement that in the West only pros might have, and not always even then. Even little kids can do it. I've never really gotten used to it. It still impresses.

So why all this? The big exception is Michael Jackson. I thought, this guy is good but why number one? Later I found out. It was the way he moves. Magic. It was a big part of Elvis's appeal as well. But as far as dance goes that's pretty much it.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Hornbein said:
Dance is a lot more important in eastern Asia than in the West. In the Bali religion dance is at least as important as singing. Japan has great dance, so much so that they are exporting ballerinas to Europe. Tokyo has dozens of dance schools. Ballet, hiphop, tango, hula, and more. Dance groups are among the biggest stars.
I can't help, but I found this funny ... maybe because Line Dance itself is already strange:

Likes morrobay

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42

The original. Real good sez I.

Roger Miller sings Me and Bobby McGee. He was there first.

Likes pinball1970 and OCR
When I was a teenager we poor young musicians would dig up albums in cutout bins and used record shops. Usually they weren't worth much but every now and then you'd find a gold nugget. A certain amount of status accrued from this. Someone found a Howard Tate record. Possibly the best soul singer ever. He had some success but not much. Who knows why? Some people don't like the lifestyle. It's not for a home-lovin' man.

Janis Joplin made his Get It While You Can famous.

Today I accidentally found out that Howard recorded again late in life. Those impressed by his great talent tracked him down forty years later and persuaded him to take up his career again. He got help from those who remembered. Better than ever says I.

But maybe this cover by Lachy Doley is...you be the judge.

So looking for music from my favorite band KISS, I stumble across The Merkins:

OK, more parody than cover, but there is some good stuff, like "Feastie Boys" (original):

Or "K.W.A." (original):

Likes pinball1970
Blind Witness, a group from my hometown! The only death metal song on my playlist:

Likes pinball1970

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Beat It on Guzheng

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
hutchphd said:
You will never hear the song the same way again......

Do you think it was because he had just gotten out of the mental hospital from that Twilight Zone episode?

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Which songs were performed, arranged or produced better in a cover than the original version?
Which songs should have been left well alone?

Also, I think restricting the covers just to released singles will restrict some interesting stonkers and stinkers so album tracks are allowed.
Here's a couple for you all to judge? Sorry, but I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to post the videos here. Here's the links.

Song is "Down So Low". The original of Tracy Nelson with Mother Earth

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6400...NTI0QzBFQjk5NTBDRTlEMjIwNiZGT1JNPVZJUkU&ntb=1

Cover by Linda Ronstadt

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=19b1...0I2OEQ4QTYmdmlldz1kZXRhaWwmRk9STT1WSVJF&ntb=1

Likes pinball1970
L
difalcojr said:
Here's a couple for you all to judge? Sorry, but I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to post the videos here. Here's the links.

Song is "Down So Low". The original of Tracy Nelson with Mother Earth

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6400...NTI0QzBFQjk5NTBDRTlEMjIwNiZGT1JNPVZJUkU&ntb=1

Cover by Linda Ronstadt

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=19b1...0I2OEQ4QTYmdmlldz1kZXRhaWwmRk9STT1WSVJF&ntb=1
If you go on YouTube, search and select your track, "share" then "copy" you can post on here that will give a thumbnail. Sometimes.

Edit: just tried it.

Likes difalcojr
She sang mostly covers. Check out the first album she is on. The Stone Poneys. Strong, beautiful voice, she had lots of hits on the radio over the years. I like both versions, but Tracy Nelson's is best I've heard.

Thks for the how-to instructions. Still can't get it to work, though.

Likes pinball1970
difalcojr said:
She sang mostly covers. Check out the first album she is on. The Stone Poneys. Strong, beautiful voice, she had lots of hits on the radio over the years. I like both versions, but Tracy Nelson's is best I've heard.

Thks for the how-to instructions. Still can't get it to work, though.
Are you on a phone? I never do the net on a cell phone, far too small and fiddly.

Likes fresh_42