Confusion about Christoffel Symbols

In summary, the equation states that the Christoffel symbol of the second kind, \Gamma^{m}_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}g^{mk}\left(\frac{ \partial g_{jk}}{\partial u^{i}}+\frac{\partial g_{ki}}{\partial u^{j}}-\frac{\partial g_{ij}}{\partial u^k}\right) is equal to the product of the components of the metric tensor with respect to the given basis vectors in the tangent space at p -> e_{i}=\partial _{i}.
tensor33
In the book Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson, and Bence, I came across an equation I just can't seem to understand. In the chapter on tensors, they derive the equation for a Christoffel symbol of the second kind, [tex]\Gamma^{m}_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}g^{mk}\left(\frac{ \partial g_{jk}}{\partial u^{i}}+\frac{\partial g_{ki}}{\partial u^{j}}-\frac{\partial g_{ij}}{\partial u^k}\right)[/tex]
Where the g's are the components of the metric tensor. I understood most of the derivation except for the part where they wrote, [tex] \frac{ \partial g_{ij}}{\partial u^{k}}= \frac{\partial e_{i}}{\partial u^{k}} \cdot e_{j}+e_{i} \cdot \frac{\partial e_{j}}{\partial u^{k}}[/tex]
Where the e's are the basis vectors. I just can't seem to understand how they got this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compute the components of the metric tensor with respect to the given basis for the tangent space at hand much like you would the first fundamental form on regular surfaces i.e. [itex]g_{ij} = <e_{i}, e_{j}>[/itex] so we have that [itex]\partial _{k}g_{ij} = \partial _{k}(e_{i}\cdot e_{j}) = e_{i}\cdot \partial _{k}e_{j} + e_{j}\cdot \partial _{k}e_{i}[/itex].

By the way I assume the basis vectors you have written down are the usual coordinate basis vectors, in terms of a given local chart, for the tangent space at p -> [itex]e_{i} = \partial _{i}[/itex].

I get the part where [itex] g_{ij}=(e_{i}\cdot e_{j})[/itex] the part I don't get is [itex]\partial_{k}(e_{i}\cdot e_{j})=\partial_{k}e_{i}\cdot e_{j}+e_{i}\cdot \partial_{k}e_{j}[/itex] I just don't understand how those two are equal.

tensor33 said:
I get the part where [itex] g_{ij}=(e_{i}\cdot e_{j})[/itex] the part I don't get is [itex]\partial_{k}(e_{i}\cdot e_{j})=\partial_{k}e_{i}\cdot e_{j}+e_{i}\cdot \partial_{k}e_{j}[/itex] I just don't understand how those two are equal.
It's just the Leibniz rule for dot products, kind of like the usual product rule.

I knew there had to be some rule but I couldn't find it. I looked it up and now it makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

tensor33 said:
I knew there had to be some rule but I couldn't find it. I looked it up and now it makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
Yep! Good luck!

Thanks!

Related to Confusion about Christoffel Symbols

1. What are Christoffel symbols and what are they used for?

Christoffel symbols, also known as the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, are mathematical objects used in differential geometry to study the curvature of a manifold. They are used to calculate the covariant derivative of a vector field and play a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. Why is there confusion surrounding Christoffel symbols?

There is often confusion surrounding Christoffel symbols because they are abstract mathematical objects and their use can be quite technical and complex. Additionally, the notation used for Christoffel symbols can vary between different textbooks and sources, which can cause further confusion.

3. How are Christoffel symbols calculated?

Christoffel symbols are calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between two points in a curved space. The calculation involves taking partial derivatives of the metric tensor and using a specific formula to obtain the Christoffel symbols.

4. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Christoffel symbols play a crucial role in the formulation of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. They are also used in the calculation of geodesics, the paths that particles follow in curved spacetime.

5. How can I better understand Christoffel symbols?

Understanding Christoffel symbols requires a strong foundation in differential geometry and tensor calculus. It is also helpful to practice calculating them in different coordinate systems and to consult multiple sources to gain a comprehensive understanding. Seeking guidance from a mathematician or physicist can also be beneficial.