Complements of Ranges and Domains

• Thread starter Kolmogorov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, the image of the complement of A is the image of A, and the pre-image of the complement of B is the pre-image of B.
Kolmogorov
Given is the function of Set V towards Set W where A is a subset of V and B is a subset of W.

Questions:
Does the range of the complement of A equal the complement of the range of A?
Does the domain of the complement of B equal the complement of the domain of B?I am not entirely sure how to answer this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolmogorov said:
Given is the function of Set V towards Set W where A is a subset of V and B is a subset of W.

Questions:
Does the domain of the complement of B equal the complement of the domain of B?

I am not entirely sure how to answer this question.

Or, apparently, even how to state it. What is B, just any subset of W? If A is a subset what does the "range of A" mean? What is the "domain of a set"?

I am sorry if I didn't formulate the question properly, I had to translate this from Dutch, I don't know if range and domain are the proper terms. The question is about any function in general from V to W without any further specifications.

I would think that these statements are both untrue, because all the elements in Set V and Set W are not necessarily paired, except when we are specifically talking about a bijection. Am I right?

Kolmogorov said:

Questions:
Does the domain of the complement of B equal the complement of the domain of B?

I am not entirely sure how to answer this question.
I think that you may mean image rather than range, and pre-image rather than domain.

Giving:

Does the image of the complement of A equal the complement of the image of A?

Does the pre-image of the complement of B equal the complement of the pre-image of B?

SammyS said:
Does the image of the complement of A equal the complement of the image of A?

Does the pre-image of the complement of B equal the complement of the pre-image of B?

Yes, that is right.

I didn't know the English translation of these terms, although now I see that the Dutch word is a literal translation of the word image. Pre-image is called the complete image in Dutch.

Searching for preimage I found that the second rule is true: http://mathprelims.wordpress.com/category/topology/page/2/

I think that this must be true, because for every x in V there is only one y. But the other one is not true, because there can be more than one x's in V that have the same y in W.

Related to Complements of Ranges and Domains

What is the complement of a range?

The complement of a range is all the values that are not included in the range. It is the set of values that are outside the given range.

What is the complement of a domain?

The complement of a domain is all the inputs that are not included in the domain. It is the set of inputs that are not allowed or considered for the given function or equation.

How do you find the complement of a range?

To find the complement of a range, you can start by listing all the values that are included in the range. Then, you can list all the values that are not included in the range. The set of values that are not included in the range is the complement.

Why is it important to consider the complement of a domain?

Considering the complement of a domain is important because it helps us identify any restrictions or limitations on the input values for a given function. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and any potential gaps or discontinuities in the graph.

Can the complement of a range or domain be empty?

Yes, the complement of a range or domain can be empty if the given range or domain includes all possible values. For example, the range of a constant function or the domain of the set of all real numbers have empty complements.