Check my answer for implicit function problem?

In summary, we use the IMPLICIT FUNCTION THEOREM to find dy/dx at the point (1,1) by solving for f(x,y)=0 and using the formula dy/dx = -[d/dx / d/dy]. Plugging in the values for x and y, we get dy/dx = 0.65.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

Use the IMPLICIT FUNCTION THEOREM (and not implicit differentiation) to find dy/dx at the point (1,1) when
y^5 + x^2*y^3 − y*e^(x^2) = 1.

Homework Equations

f(x,y)=0
dy/dx = - [f(x)/f(y)] = -[d/dx(f(x,y) / d/dy(f(x,y)]

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for f(x,y), i brought the 1 to the left side so the equation equaled 0, i.e y^5 + x^2*y^3 − y*e^(x^2)-1=0

then d/dx of the function I got 2xy^3 - 2xye^(x^2)
d/dy = 5y^4 + 3x^2y^2 - e^(x^2)

so dy/dx was just -[d/dx / d/dy] = -[2xy^3 - 2xye^(x^2) / 5y^4 + 3x^2y^2 - e^(x^2)]
for the point (1,1) i just plugged in x and y into the above equation, and got 0.65 as my answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got:

dy/dx = -1.41

can you show your work? did you get the same equation for dy/dx as me? if i got mine wrong it was probably the ye^(x^2) part, since i was kinda confused how to work it. for d/dx, i got 2xye^(x^2), and for d/dy i got e^(x^2).

sorry, my mistake, I also got

dy/dx = 0,65

Related to Check my answer for implicit function problem?

1. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical equation that is defined implicitly, meaning that the dependent variable is not expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable. Instead, the equation contains both variables and often includes a relation between them.

2. How do I check my answer for an implicit function problem?

To check your answer for an implicit function problem, you can substitute the given values for the variables into the equation and see if it holds true. This can also be done by graphing the equation and visually verifying if the points lie on the graph.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving implicit function problems?

Some common mistakes when solving implicit function problems include forgetting to include the constant of integration, not properly rearranging the equation to solve for the dependent variable, and not checking for extraneous solutions.

4. Can I use implicit differentiation to solve implicit function problems?

Yes, implicit differentiation is a useful tool for solving implicit function problems. It allows us to find the derivative of an implicit function without explicitly solving for the dependent variable. However, it is important to remember to apply the chain rule when using implicit differentiation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of implicit functions?

Implicit functions have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model relationships between variables and can help us understand and predict various phenomena in the world around us.